Part 19

~Grayson's POV~

Caley's mom Debbie, Savannah, and I were waiting outside the hallway - Chiara was about to come in a few minutes. It had been over four hours since we heard any news of Caley. I tried to calm myself down. What if she... what if? I really loved her. We had such amazing times in the past week, even though we had our fights. Next to me, Savannah clutched her chest tightly. "Grayson, can we have a chat outside? This hospital air is suffocating me," she requested. "Alright. Mrs Burbank, excuse us," I said. She nodded grimly and went back on her paperwork, clearly trying to distract herself. Savannah dragged me out to the hospital gardens which I was very familiar with, back when my mom worked here as a nurse. I would always pretend to get sick and go to the ER for fun.

We stood outside for a while in silence, admiring the slowly wilting flowers, until Savannah said, "I have a bad feeling about this." I wasn't the only one. "I... how? I mean, I do as well, but..." Savannah interrupted without hesitation. "When Caley had an allergic reaction in first grade, she went into a coma for six months and that was with immediate attention." It has been a long time since she drank that drink. It would be my fault for not paying enough attention if I died - overwhelmed with guilt, I broke down and buried my face in my hands. "It's all my fault... I'm so, so sorry." Savannah awkwardly patted my back. "It's not your fault. It was Keira's... but I wonder what made her do that?" "I- Kayla Foster." "Who's she?" "She's been threatening Caley for the past few months if she got close to anyone, and I suppose this was the threat that was coming. Keira would do anything for money and probably knows of Caley's allergies. They used to be close," I explained. This all made sense.

Just then, the loudspeaker announced something. "Can the friends and family of Caley Anne Burbank please come to room 214? Once again, can the friends and family of Caley Anne Burbank come to room 214. Thank you." I gasped in shock - I have only heard this once, and it was for an old man who had cancer. He died. Savannah started shaking, so I gave her a quick hug and we rushe

rushed to room 214.

Chiara was already there, looking at Caley's body attached to tubes and a heart monitor, and Mrs Burbank was holding her hand. She looked so weakened and so limp... Once Chiara found me, she rushed to me and told me, "Grayson, I'm sorry. Caley is in an irreversible coma and will be taken off life support tonight." No. No...