Truth

Jackson

Zara woke me up at the crack of dawn. Fortunately, I wasn't fazed as I was usually up earlier with Rose when we had nightmares. Speaking of, I didn't have one. I had the most peaceful nights sleep and I can't help but think it's because she was taken. My stomach twisted as I thought about the younger girl but I didn't have time to think about it. She wouldn't be in there for long. When the two of us started planning, Zara pulled out maps and timetables of the closest Organisation facility to us. The place we suspect Rose is being held. I was curious as to why she had them but I knew better than to pry. At the orphanage, there was a severe punishment for snooping. We came up with multiple plans in the past hour but they all had a flaw. Neither of us was expendable and we couldn't afford mistakes, especially with Rose's life at risk.

"We could go in through that underground entrance. It looks quiet and it leads straight to the labs." I propose.

"Nope. There was a break in there sometime last year. Guards are placed there and I don't know what time they shift."

"Okay... We could jump one of the guards and act as if we belong there until we get Rose out. I saw a few of them when we were attacked. They have helmets so no one will be able to see..."

"They're highly trained with guns. I'm pretty sure they'd shoot us so full of bullets we'd crap lead before one of them broke a sweat."

"Air vents?"

"What is this? Mission Impossible?"

"Well, what can we do?!" I yelled as I hit the table and stood up. Zara had jumped at my outburst but remained calm.

"We can't just think of a plan in an hour Jacks. It takes time. I know you want your sister back but her life is at risk if we make a mistake as well." Her voice was soothing. She wanted to get Rose back as well even though she'd never met her. Families shouldn't be torn apart because of this Organisation. Not again. I'd calmed down slightly but was still tense. I sit and hold my head in my hands. Zara seems to be tired trying to think of a plan. She talked as if she was raised in the facility or tried all of my suggestions before. 

For a few minutes, we sit in silence. Only the sounds of nature are heard from outside. It's quite charming. Zara started packing her equipment away and proposed that we need a break. I nod in agreement. We seem to be going about this all wrong. I sit by myself and try to keep my mind off of the situation. Zara went outside and I can hear her throwing things at trees. Probably knives. I don't resist the urge to fight my curiosity anymore and go outside. I was right about the knives. In her hands, she had three small throwing knives. She was aiming for a target painted on a tree in yellow paint. She threw the three knives, one at a time, in three movements that looked so fluid and natural, she could've done it in one. Each knife landed in the tree and was only a few centimeters from the center of the target. If I wasn't impressed before, I certainly was now. She got her knives and turned to realize that I was watching her from her porch. She stood next to me for a bit and we enjoyed each others company. I could tell Zara had many secrets, some that might help me get my sister back so I question her.

"Where'd you get the maps guard shift timetables, Zara?" She looked at me almost shocked. I suspected something was off about her when she saved me in the woods but her knowledge of the Organisation was something I couldn't ignore. She looked down.

"I, um, I used to work there. As a biochemist with someone, I used to know. For about three years I'd worked on trying to improve the serum used on you and Rose to make it better. More adaptable. More powerful. At the time I thought we were testing the drug on rats, I had no idea it was going to be tested on humans. I didn't even have a clue about the previous evolution projects. I guess the victims of the drug I made turned innocent people into Mutes. When I found out their true agenda I had to get out. I couldn't hurt anyone else." Tears were streaming down Zara's face as she sobbed. "I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry Jackson." I was taken aback. Zara was manipulated into doing what the Organisation wanted and caused her to unknowingly take innocent lives. I wrapped my arms around her like I would to Rose when she'd have a nightmare. This girl I just met was trying so hard righting the wrong that was placed upon her. I gained a new respect for her. 

I began to feel enraged at the Organisation. The took my birth parents, my orphaned sister and my first friend's life away from myself and them. I wanted them to pay for hurting the people I care about. We stayed in the hug for what seemed like hours until Zara calmed down. We went inside and just talked for hours on end. My mind drifting away from all my problems. We talked until it got dark and decided it'd be best if we continue planning, and preparing tomorrow. I lied down on the couch and watched the girl go into her room. I was prepared to do anything to protect Rose and Zara from the Organisation, no matter the cost.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello, readers!

So this chapter is quite slow and Zara's past will be a large subplot in this novel so that should be fun. I can't thank you all enough for your constant support. You guys give me the confidence and self-esteem to continue writing. Y'all are fabulous.

The first ever 'Question of the Chapter'! (Will be known as QotC after this chapter.)

Choose a type of character: Brother, Father or Boyfriend?

Make sure to vote your answer in the comments and this will appear later in the story so stay tuned.

Thanks, guys!

Tasha

P.S. Don't forget to vote/comment what you like about the story or what you don't like so that I can evaluate and change some things in the next chapters. Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys!