16. Flying

"Sherlock!" I scream, running forward towards him. The skinny boy sways slightly in his spot for a moment before grabbing onto the railings shakily. My phone begins to vibrate again and I glance down at it, swiping the screen to answer the oncoming phone call.
"John," the voice crackles on the end of the line. I can easily tell that he's been crying. And Sherlock Holmes never cries. He's the boy that always holds all of his feelings inside.
"What's happening," I reply, not bothering to hide my panic.
"Why are you up there?"
There's no answer for a second and I watch the boy closely, making sure that he doesn't move away from that edge.
Sherlock breathes heavily, leaning back against the railing to keep himself steady.
"Moriarty won," he explains flatly, his voice quivering.
"I'm..I'm nothing John."
I can feel the tears building in the corner of my eyes but I choose to ignore it. A tear rolls down my cheek.

"No," I say, my voice rising.
"No please Sherlock it's not worth it."
It's started to snow again now, not the nice Christmas type but the bitter January type.
"You told me about Moriarty yourself, y-you said he was a spider. You said he manipulates people and-"
"This is my note, John."
"Sherlock? Sherlock what do you mean your note?" I demand, my stomach churning.
"That's what people do isn't it, leave a note," the sociopath replies.
There's a dreadful silence for a moment.
"Goodbye John."

I screamed his name. I screamed for him and only him. I wanted him there by my side. I wanted him here one last time, to hold him close and to tell him that I love him.
Loved him.
Past tense. Horrible past tense.
Sherlock holds his arms out then falls like a doll towards the concrete ground below. As he's falling, his arms begin to flail horrifically, like he wants to stop it. It makes me feel sick. I fall to the ground. My head spins uncontrollably and I feel the sudden urge to vomit. I don't want to see the body.
I never want to see that body, because what lays before me with it's blood soaking the snow isn't him. It isn't the boy I love.