Chapter 08: The Ambush

Chapter 8

The Ambush

            It's been about almost three months now that I came out to my family, co-worker, and my town. The worse of the worse was over, or at least I thought it was.

            Back in my Jr. High days I had two good friends with me. Darren Spencer who always managed to get into trouble, and Kevin Smith, who was a good guy, but was always hanging with the bad crowd. We were the three musketeers.

            I always was their look out when they decided to get high during our lunch break, changing classes, or after school. I helped them with their homework and school work. They looked out for me because I had a few enemies of my own too.

            We were great buds the three of us, so it was kind of hard for me to believe they would ever turn their backs on me.

            I was working at KFC that night, we just got done with a bus and it was closing time. I had the lobby to do. I wiped all the tables, cleaned the soda machine, swept and mopped. I cleaned the restrooms the best to my skill, cleaned the toilets, restocked the paper towels and relined the trash. Everything was spotless, and I was tired.

            At this time I was living with Michael for a while. My place was being remodeled and it wouldn't be ready for another month. So one of my best friends said I could live with him for a while until my place was done.

            KFC has this rule that everybody would have to stay and help out so we all could leave at the same time. That way, if someone needed a ride, they could get one. Everyone would get home safely. That was the rule.

            I was too tired to stay and help. It's been a long day and I wanted to go home and sleep.

            I went into the office and saw Aimee still counting out our registers and putting money away in the safe.

            I asked her "I'm finished with the lobby, can I go home?"

            She said "Is your ride here?"

            "Yeah, Michael's outside waiting for me. I mopped and swept the lobby. Everything should be spotless." I lied. It was 11:45pm, and I doubt Michael would be up at this time.

            "Yeah, you can go." she said not taking her eyes off the money she was counting"

            "Cool, thanks, see you tomorrow Aimee. Good night" I said as I started heading outside.

            I deiced to walk home, it was only eight blocks away and I could use the walk. It was a nice night to walk in the near end summer. Not too hot and not to cold. Just right.

            Our town was doing some road work that year. They tore out the old road on Navajo Boulevard and started making a fresh new one. So the light poles that shone on the road were also taken out. That part of the town was dark for a good half a year. But I didn't mind it much; I sort of liked walking in the dark.

            It was half a moon so there wasn’t too much light.

            I walked past the Super 8 Motel and Pizza Hut which was only two blocks from my work, when I saw some bright headlights coming from up ahead.

            It was a blue Chevy, looked like a 96 or a 98 model. It drove by me slowly and went on. About two minutes later it drove back up right past me and turned toward Circle K. It pulled into the driveway and out back on the main road towards my direction again.