I-95

Again for @jade1799

Warning: This short story contains references to drug use and suicide.

 See that song on the side? It's the song that...well...just play it and read.

Stevie stood on the edge of the wall going across the bridge. She looked down into the rough, green waters churning around the supports. She always liked the taste of the sea. She hoped it would like the taste of her.

                                                              ***

She couldn't take it anymore. The pain just hit her over and over again until it finally knocked her down. And that was the last person Stevie expected to push her.

She set her phone down on the kitchen table and grabbing her coat and mp3 player, she went out the front door of the empty townhouse. She didn't bother locking the door. After a few steps down the sidewalk Stevie had her hood on, her headphones in, and the music turned up loud enough to block out an airplane landing next to her.

There’s a hole in my soul.

It was usually the sound of the traffic and the smell of exhaust that calmed her down. It reminded her that other people were still going on with their days, and that they made it that far. They probably didn’t care about what was wrong with her and most likely wouldn’t even look at her twice.

Let me all on my own, I’m gonna hurt myself.

Stevie came to the abandoned house that was a block from her own. Kids often liked to throw rocks through the windows and knock panes out, and no one ever bothered to board them up. She had grown out of the silly game years ago, but tonight she picked up the largest rock she could find near her feet and heaved it at the highest window. It crashed through the pane with a satisfying smash.

He shot himself-self, there’s blood on wall; ‘cause he couldn’t face the truth.

It was getting darker out. Stevie usually was home around this time to have dinner. She should go back soon, so her mother wouldn’t worry. But she kept going.

She knew her way around the city completely; she had lived there since birth. She made her way deeper into the worse-off area of town, farther into the territory of crime. It wasn’t long before she came to a familiar, dirty, orange house with its garage propped halfway open.

Would you lie with me and just forget the world.

“Heeey, Stevie. Where’ve you been?”

Sam greeted Stevie with a sloppy smile and slow words when he saw her feet coming quickly up the drive from below the garage.

She stuffed her headphones into her pocket as she made it to the door and ducked underneath. Sam was sitting on the arm of a ratty, army green couch, smoking a joint with Patricia, who was sitting on the floor.

Stevie walked right up to Sam and pushed down the arm he held out to hug her. She grabbed him by his shirt and pulled his surprised face to hers and kissed him. He tasted like smoke, and coffee, and empty promises – and she loved it. At the same time, it made her want to cry. He hesitated for a moment before kissing her back. Seemingly surprised, he stared into her eyes after she released him and she slumped on the couch.

“What’s going on? You kiss a boy like you’re going somewhere and ain’t comin’ back.”

Sam drawled out his words and took another drag.