Boum Boum Boum

Title, Boum Boum Boum by Mika.  For Unicorn Creation.

Boom.

The hallway was approximately seventy degrees Fahrenheit. It was four-by-seven feet long. Quiet murmurs from the teenagers escaped the living room right around the corner. Things weren’t exactly spacious, but they weren’t much worse than cosy either. But Ivy felt the hallway had grown quite hot and claustrophobic, the murmurs quite echoing, and her heartbeat insanely loud. She especially felt that the boy in the hallway with her stood wonderfully and terribly close to her.

Boom.

“S-sorry, I didn’t mean to bump into you,” Ivy stammered out. She didn’t dare raise her eyes from the thin chest that blocked her escape. Her cheeks burned from the feeling of his eyes on her, but she was certain that if she looked, her knees would immediately become mush and tumble her to the ground. She had been on her way back from the bathroom where she stood for three minutes, staring at her reflection in the mirror, wondering where to go from there. She had left the living room[coincidentally, of course] when the other girls had started talking about the boys they liked. Ivy had been thinking about the boy she liked as she left the room, and still as she left the bathroom. And - speak of the devil - she ran into Grace’s brother in the hall as he left his room.

Boom.

“Sorry, it’s my fault.” Michael paused before carefully asking, “About what Grace said last week…was all that true?”

Boom, boom.

Ivy’s cheeks grew as hot as a summer’s day. Michael was referring to the incident that had happened at his and Grace’s house not too long ago. Ivy was over, along with their other friends and they were all sitting in the living room together. Michael had passed through to the kitchen for a drink while the girls were listening to music and flipping through magazines. Ivy had snuck a look at him as he walked by the girls again and he caught her eye. As he grinned at her and she blushed, she wasn’t the only one who caught that smile.

“Jeez, Ivy, what’s going on with you two?” Maddie asked, raising an eyebrow playfully.

Ivy shushed her hurriedly, unsure how far away Michael had gotten. Evidently, not far, looking back.

“You guys would totally be cute together,” Sage giggled. The other girls squealed in agreement. “Just tell him how you feel."

Ivy shrugged in reply, suddenly very interested in the magazine in front of her.

Boom, boom.

“You know, I’ve always thought you were real cute,” Michael continued. “And I don’t think it’s a big deal that we’re two years apart. I mean, we’re both in high school. I know other guys who’ve dated freshman...”

Boom, boom.

Ivy listened to Michael and realized two things: one, she really did like him, no matter how much she pretended she didn’t. Two, he just admitted he liked her back.

Ignoring the hammering of her heart in her chest, Ivy stood on her tiptoes and kissed Michael on the cheek. He finally stopped rambling and looked at her, surprised. “What was that for?”

Cheeks still burning red, Ivy grinned and said, “Now will you shut up?”

Michael grinned back at her. “Now I’ll never shut up.”

                                                                    ***