'It Comes Down To This'

Erik walks right past me, slamming the door behind him without even looking back. I want to help him, cheer him up at least, but I can't tell how he feels. He's too seldom. He's just unpredictable in almost every situation.
    But Charles... I feel bad for him. I know how he feels. It's almost as if I can feel the same sting in his heart. Erik won't like it though. After what happened, I think it's a drag to stay away from my friends, especially when they're hurt, but I have to.
    So I turn away, a chill running down my spine. I don't know if it was pain or just guilt. At this point, I don't think there's much of a difference.
    I look for Erik. I don't see him around now. I look at Peter-who's zipping through the kitchen, obviously snatching some 'Twinkies'.
    "Have you seen Erik?" I asked him, not minding the little robbery. He talks with a full mouth,
    "Nope."
    I open the front door and peek out, squinting as the sun shines in my eyes. As I'm closing the door a person stands behind it. Logan of course. ...Smoking.
    "Logan! I didn't see you there. Did you see Erik leave?" I ask. He pulls the big cigar out of his mouth, releasing the stench of smoke.
     "Yeah. He's gone," then eyes me right in the face, "you got something going on again?"
     "With Erik? No. He uh... ya know...Mystique." I say, not looking at him as the name fumbled out of my mouth. He grunts and shifts his weight to the wall, leaning against it, buff arms crossed, cigar in his mouth.
     "...Hm," he says, looking across the field, "So they're having an affair." I nod, knowing who he's talking about. He blows smoke again, a little in my face. I cough and wave the air.
     "Must you smoke while I'm talking to you?" I say, annoyed. He chuckles with his usual "gruff n' tough" voice.
     "Ah, I'm gonna miss you." He says, looking at me sincerely. Looking at me in a way that you could tell he's comfortable with me. Like I'm a true friend of sorts. If not, family.
    "What? You're leaving?" I ask, upset.
    "I decided that it's time for me to go," He inhales some more smoke, "I've had enough of this shit hole." I sorta smile, just a little amused.
    "And where would you go exactly?" I ask him. He looks off into the field, as if he could see it. Makes me look too.
    "I guess I'll see where the wind takes me. Maybe down in the south. The western parts. I think I fit in there, don't you think?" He turns to grin at me again. I laugh and roll my eyes.
    "Liquor bars, smoking, shacks, motorcycles? Totally." A silence crosses us as we look at each other. Just appreciating what might be our last good time together.
    But, the presence of tension got it out of me. "What about..." I look down. He eyes my stomach and looks back out at the fields, smashing the butt of his cigar in the dried up birth bath. Previously smoked ones were in there too. He's probably been smoking here the most.
    "Hah, well, I'm pretty sure I don't want to stick around while dirty diapers are being passed around. Plus, babies are annoying." He looks back at me. Squeezing my arm. "Don't worry, I'll see him when he's ready to handle me." I nod and give him a look of understanding. I'm gonna miss you too. I think.
    "I should go. You know, look for Erik." I say, slowly slipping away.
    He just nods and stares off at the fields. Interesting man. Doesn't care to care unless he cares about you. If that made sense...