Chapter 4

"O, ano tol, tulala ka kasi sang-ayon so destiny sa inyo? Ikaw naman kasi, ang arte mo, pinapalagpas mo lahat ng chance mo na sumaya at magka girlfriend." 

"Bakit, sa pag girlfriend lang ba sasaya ang isang tao?" 

"Hindi, pero bakit kumikislap kislap yang mga mata mo? Huli! Hahaha!" Jerald gave RJ a playful punch on the arm. "Ano ba kasi kinakatakutan mo? Na mawawalan ka ng panahon para bigyan ng magandang buhay pamilya mo? Tol, bayad na kayo sa mga utang, kahit papano may konting ipon ka na, maganda na trabaho mo at secured na pagiging photographer mo sa kumpanya, nagmomodeling ka pa on the side, maganda na kita mo. Ano bang akala mo, daddy mo nakakausap ko yun tapos binibilin ka sakin, ihanap ka daw ng girlfriend! Ginawa pa akong tagahanap ng girlfriend mo, tol." 

"Ang ganda nya." It was all RJ could say after everything Jerald had said. 

"Anak ng tokwa! Sa dinami dami kong sinabi yan lang sagot mo sakin? Wala, tinamaan na toh. Tignan natin kung makaka priorities ka pa nyan." 

-----------

Jerald, Valeen and Janeeva are walking around the venue talking about where they can set up the catering services while RJ was just tailing behind them. Janeeva arrived at the venue on her own, saying that Maine's morning errand lasted longer than she thought. She looked at Jerald when she said that Maine will just tag along in their next meeting, but it was really intended for RJ. 

"Tol, una na ako sa inyo. Valeen. " RJ gave her and Jerald a hug, shook Janeeva's hand and said goodbye to the three. 

He walked out of the venue, twirling his car key around his finger. As he reached for the car door, "RJ?", he heard someone call his name. 

Turning to where the voice came from, he saw Maine close her car door and walked to where he stood frozen. "Oh, Maine?", finally finding his voice. 

"Pauwi ka na?" 

"Ay, oo sana kasi na-o-OP ako dun sa dalawa eh, kaw kasi kala ko mang iindyan ka", he replied, showing his dimples as he smiled. 

"Hala sya. Haha ako talaga. Sorry ha, nalate ako kasi natagalan yung pinuntahan ko kanina e. Aalis ka na talaga? D ka na babalik sa loob?"

"Babalik, andyan ka na eh", he grinned from ear to ear like a shy school boy. 

"Ganun?" Acting as calm as she could but her red cheeks gave it away. Hashtag paano kumalma, she thought as they walk into the venue. 

----------

The rain was pouring hard as her windshield wipers move like there's no tomorrow. Maine had left her condo half an hour ago when the drizzles turned into a heavy rain pour. She took a shortcut thinking it would get her to the cafe faster when all of a sudden, her car came to a complete stop and felt like her tire got busted. 

"Crap! Tsk ngayon pa talaga o, ang galing mo talaga Meng." 

Maine got out of her car only to find the rear tire on the driver's side caught in a huge pothole with a sharp metal pierced through it. How that was even possible, she didn't bother trying to figure it out. 

"Come on Coleen pick up", she murmured as she sat inside her car, all soaked from the rain. "Tsk, pag minamalas ka nga naman", she said as she dialed her siblings' phone numbers. 

She must have left more than a dozen of voicemail and text messages, trying Coleen and Dean first before her call finally got through. 

"Dean? Thank God, kanina pako tumatawag." 

"Menggay? Bakit? Kita ko nga, dami mong missed calls. Ano meron?"

"Eh kasi nasi...hello?" She looked at the screen and combed her fingers through her hair. "Kala ko sa movies lang, well this is reality for you right now, Meng. Tire's busted, you're in a deserted area, it's pouring outside, and your phone's dead. Ang galing."

She got out of her car once again to see if there's any way she can ask for help nearby. It was raining so hard she doubted anyone would be outside. Menggay, wala ka na sa States, wag kang basta basta magtitiwala sa mga tao dito, her father's words popped out in her mind. 

A car's headlights were shining her way, slowing down as it got closer. 

"Ayan na sabi ko sayo, kung san san ka sumusuot Menggay jusko. Shortcut pa more". Debating whether to flag the car down for help or get back in the car for safety, she opted for the latter. She rummaged through her stuff to look for anything that resembles a pepper spray failing to do so since she only brought her wallet and cellphone with her. 

Maine turned to the window as the person outside knocked. "Miss?" It was a man's voice. He was saying something else but the rain was too loud that she couldn't make out what the words were. 

She lowered the window, allowing an inch of space at the top. "Miss, kailangan mo ng tulong? Napansin ko kasi yung gulong mo." 

"Ah, oo eh, hindi ko napansin. Nalowbatt din ako kaya hindi ako makatawag", Maine replied.

"Mukhang mahihirapan ka kumontak ng pwede mag tow sa kotse mo tonight, sobrang lakas ng ulan eh. I can drive you sa nearest store kung gusto mo, para hindi ka magisa dito, baka hanggang bukas na yung ulan." Sensing her hesitation, he offered her his phone. "Here, gamitin mo muna para makatawag ka sa susundo sayo." 

"Ok lang? Thank you ha," Maine lowered the window even more to reach for his phone. He handed it to her and leaned closer. 

"Maine?" 

"RJ?"