Chapter 28

Note: Song for this chapter - Lead Me Lord

=====<>=====

I'm sorry, Maine. We're doing everything we can, pero at this point, you've reached end-stage heart failure. Let's hope and pray na magawa natin yung transplant as soon as possible.

Maine wiped her tears as she sat on the chair on her balcony. It was already 2 in the morning but her doctor's words have kept her mind awake. 

Earlier that day, Maine went to the hospital for her scheduled appointment. She was told that her heart continued to deteriorate even after the surgery almost 2 months ago, and her lungs have also been affected because of the fluid backing up from her heart. It was something she already expected, and her doctors have always been honest with her regarding her prognosis, but it was more painful and harder to accept when she came face to face with it. 

With tears flowing down her cheeks, Maine looked up at the sky. 

Lord, if this is where fate is taking me, kayo na po ang bahala sakin. Bigyan nyo po ako ng lakas na harapin ito dahil kahit po gano kahirap tanggapin, haharapin ko po toh ng buong buo. I'm not losing hope, Lord, but I'm preparing myself for the worst. Lalaban pa rin po ako, lalaban pa rin po ako. 

"Maine?" 

Maine heard her brother's voice inside her room. "Kuya," she said, wiping her tears before turning around. "Ok ka lang? Bakit di ka pa natutulog?" 

"Ano ginagawa mo dyan?" Nico walked over to her and sat beside her on the balcony. "Sumilip lang ako tapos wala ka sa kama. Ikaw ang bakit di pa natutulog?" 

"Nagpapahangin lang." She gave him a quick smile before looking away to avoid his eyes. 

"Meng, bakit ka umiiyak?" Nico's eyebrows came together when he saw tears falling from Maine's eyes. 

"Wala kuya, nagdadrama lang. Balak ko din sungkitin yung best supporting actress tulad nila ate." 

Nico swallowed the lump in his throat before talking again. "Meng, alam ko naman di ako katulad nila Nikki tsaka Coleen na nakakausap mo pero andito lang kuya mo." 

Maine turned to his brother and smiled at him, hoping that it would suppress the cry that's about to come. It didn't, and she brought her fist to her lips as she tears came flowing down her cheeks. 

"Dead-end na yata kuya. Dead-end na yata." 

Nico wiped his own tears and took his sister in for a hug. "Ano ka ba, wag mong sabihin yan. Diba ikaw si Menggay? Yung Menggay na hindi marunong sumuko?" 

Maine and Nico's relationship was the typical aso't pusa between two siblings. Mapang-asar is how she would describe her kuya's relationship with her. It was always superficial, no heart-to-heart talks and no sweet gestures. Nico never showed it but it also pains him every time he sees his sister battling her illness. 

"Nakakapagod rin pala, kuya." Maine looked at him, her face wet from her tears and her voice was full of pain. Nico saw exhaustion and defeat in her eyes, and he felt his heart twist in a knot. 

He felt like a ball blocked his throat when he heard her say the words. "Meng.." 

"Minsan pala kahit gano kagusto ng utak mong lumaban, hindi ka makapalag kapag ubos na ubos na yung lakas mo. Ang hirap, kuya. Ang hirap." Maine stared into the darkness, wiping her tears. "Minsan gusto mo sabihin na lang, tama na. Suko nako. Ang sakit na. Ang hirap na." 

Nico held his sister in his arms, rubbing her back while he was silently crying his heart out. 

"Paubos na, kuya. Natatakot akong maubos bago yung transplant." Maine clung to her brother as she let her cries out. "Kuya.." He felt so helpless and it killed him because he could feel how exhausted Maine was getting from her fight.