Chapter 20

Just as Coleen and Dean were walking into the elevator to go home for a little bit, a woman's voice came through the hospital PA system to disrupt the silence that enveloped the hospital hallways at 3 am.

Code 25. Cardiac Unit 4th floor. Code 25. Cardiac Unit 4th floor. Shortly after that, they heard another announcement.

Paging Dr. Sanchez, please proceed to 4U24 in the Cardiac Unit. Paging Dr. Sanchez, please proceed to 4U24 in the Cardiac Unit.

"Cardiac unit?" Coleen's face suddenly flushed red. "Menggay..." they said in unison and sprinted towards their sister's room.

When Dean and Coleen got to Maine's room, nurses and doctors were running in and out of the room. Get two 22Gauge and two 20Gauge needles! They heard a nurse yell out to another nurse. EKG Stat! Said another. Dr. Garcia wants her chart! Another nursed walked out. Patient's crashing, get the crash cart!

Coleen tightened her grip on Dean's arm as they stood to the right of the door to get out of everyone's way. Whenever someone walked in or out of the room, they would peek inside to have a glimpse of their sister's ordeal. Coleen saw Maine being worked on by a couple of nurses and doctors, while her sister's Cardiologist was talking to their parents on the side. Mary Ann and Teddy were obviously heart broken as they listened to the doctor, clinging to each other for support.

From the outside, it looked to them like Maine was drifting in and out of consciousness. Before she knew it, Coleen was sobbing as they helplessly watched their sister fight through her situation. With panic and worry taking over her, she scrambled through her bag to call RJ but she didn't get to talk to him.

----------

"Bigla syang nagising kanina tapos sabi nya sobrang lightheaded daw sya tapos nanlalamig yung mga kamay nya." Mary Ann said as she was giving RJ an update of what happened. "Chineck nila yung BP nya tapos sobrang baba, kaya inumpisahan nila ulit yung IV fluids. Tapos bigla syang nahirapan huminga."

RJ sat beside Maine, closely eyeing her features as she slept. "Kamusta naman daw po sya, Tita?"

Mary Ann let out a sigh as she sat on the opposite side of Maine. "Mahirap yung nangyari, anak. Ingat na ingat sila sa IV fluids kasi baka daw mag worsen yung heart failure nya." Her words were slowly becoming inaudible as she struggled to keep her composure.

"Nahihirapan daw kasi yung puso nya sa pag pump ng dugo kaya naiipon sa katawan nya, tapos nakadagdag pa yung IV fluids pero hindi naman nila pwedeng pabayaan na bumaba ng bumaba yung BP nya. Pag nangyari daw yun.." Her voice trailed off as she wiped her tears with her right hand, her left was on her daughter's arm.

RJ and Mary Ann were quiet, sharing a moment of understanding as they watched Maine sleep. The only sound radiating through the room came from the IV pump and the heart monitor.

"Isang buwan pa lang mula nung sinabi nya sakin, Tita, pero parang ang bilis ng mga pangyayari. Ang bilis mag progress ng condition nya." RJ broke the silence with sorrowful voice.

"Alam mo RJ, tong anak kong toh, talagang sosolohin nya hangga't kaya nya. Ayaw nyang nakakaabala sya sa iba, kahit kaming pamilya nya. Kahit tungkol pa toh sa health nya. Kung hindi nya sinabi sa atin, mag-isa nyang pinagdadaanan lahat ng toh." Mary Ann couldn't help herself anymore and a soft cry escape from her. Sounds that reflected a mother's pain.

RJ stood up and reached across the bed to hold Mary Ann's hand. Teddy was sleeping on the couch and woke up when he heard his wife softly whimpering.

"Patuloy daw kasing nagdi-deteriorate yung condition ni Menggay. Complications after complications na yung nangyayari kaya kailangan i-consider na yung surgery. Pero RJ, baka daw hindi na kayanin ng anak ko yun." Mary Ann said as she sobbed quietly.

"Mary Ann.." Teddy said as he took her in for an embrace. "Shhh..kayang kaya ni Menggay toh. Saan pa ba mag-mamana anak mo kundi sayo? Kaya magpakatatag ka dahil kailangan ka ng anak mo ngayon."

"Bakit sya, Teddy? Bakit yung anak pa natin?" Teddy tried to console his wife as he wiped his own tears but Mary Ann couldn't help it even if she tried. "Bakit si Menggay ko?" She continued as Teddy struggled to keep her up.

"Tita.." RJ swallowed the lump in his throat, not knowing the words to say to comfort her.

Teddy helped his wife walk out of the room to sit on the chair in the hall before Maine wakes up from her mother's sobs.

Beside Maine, RJ remained seated, staring into space. He was brought back to reality to make room when the nurse walked in to check on his girlfriend's vital signs.

"Kamusta readings, Ate?" RJ asked the nurse.

"Nag-iimprove na yung BP nya, Sir, pero we still have to keep an eye on it. I'll be back in an hour to check again."

RJ nodded and leaned closer to Maine after the nurse left the room. He noticed tear stains down her temple.

Just as he touched her cheeks, Maine opened her eyes and turned to face RJ.

"Love," RJ stood up to kiss her forehead. "Kamusta ka na?"

Maine gave him a weak smile but he noticed her red eyes. "Much better," she said to answer his question.

"Kanina ka pa ba gising?" He asked, wondering why her eyes are teary. Maine nodded. "Di ka nagsalita kanina, love."

"Busy kasi kayo mag-drama eh." Light sleeper, he thought. "Gusto pa yata ni Nanay magka-acting award." She said as a joke but tears fell from her eyes again.

RJ wiped his own tears and sat beside Maine on the bed, holding her close as she leaned close to him. "I'm sorry, RJ." He heard her whisper.

"Love, bakit?" RJ knew she was upset and stress won't do her any good. He quickly turned to face her to try and calm her down.

"Kasi kailangan nyo pagdaanan toh, kailangan nyo makita pa toh. May mga kanya kanya kayong buhay na na-aapektohan dahil sakin." Maine wiped her own tears as he looked up at RJ. "Sorry," she said with a pout.

"Love naman," RJ's hands were on her cheeks. "Wag mo sabihin yan. Mahal ka namin kaya nandito kami para makasama mo sa mga ganitong pahanon. Oo, mahirap at masakit pero mas mahirap at masakit isipin kapag nangyayari toh at hindi man lang namin alam." Wiping her tears in between sentences, RJ continued.

"Ang mahalaga, wag kang susuko dahil hindi ka namin susukuan kahit anong mangyari. Mahal na mahal ka namin, love. Sasamahan ka namin at hindi ka magisa sa laban na toh."

Maine nodded as she quietly sobbed and RJ rubbed her back, trying to calm her down. RJ positioned himself to lie sideways on the bed with his left arm spread across Maine's pillow so she can sleep in his arms.

"Are you comfortable, love?" RJ asked as he put the head of the bed up a little higher to make sure Maine is able to breathe properly. He now knows what works and what doesn't work for her, like how she has a hard time breathing when she lies flat on the bed.

Maine nodded and snuggled against RJ's upper body. He was gently stroking her arms to make her fall asleep when he noticed multiple bruises and reddened areas on both her arms.

RJ felt another lump in his throat. "Bugbog na bugbog yung arms mo, love" he said as he gently touched the spots where the nurses failed to start an IV, being very careful not to dislodge the IV on her left arm.

"I'm ok, love." Maine whispered as she slowly drifted back to sleep.

Teddy and Mary Ann walked in on Maine who was sleeping in RJ's arms, taking a deep breath as they watched them sleep. They couldn't be more thankful that RJ found his way in their daughter's life because they know he is one of the reasons Maine is fighting as hard as she is.

Maine's BP continued to improve and her health status began to stabilize again. She spent another 4 days in the hospital before being discharged home, just in time for her birthday. When asked what she wanted to do for her special day, she asked to have dinner at home.

She was happy to be home to celebrate her birthday with RJ, her family and her friends. In the back of her mind, she has accepted the possibility that it might be her last, so she wanted to celebrate it with the people who matter to her.