Chapter 29

Note: The last chapter is coming up. Hang on tight!

=====<>=====

Weak, vulnerable and fragile. That's how they would describe Maine as they gathered around her bed. IVs and wires hooked up to her, and machines echoed in the room along with the gargling sound her chest makes when she breathes. 

"One of the valves is leaking, causing the blood in her heart to back up into her lungs. Naiipon na yung lungs ni Maine ng fluid kaya nahihirapan sya lalo. This is on top of her failing heart that's causing her pain and struggle." 

"Pero, doc, ok pa si Maine kanina. Nakakain pa sya, nagbabasa pa sya ng libro, nakakangiti pa sya." RJ's eyebrows were crunched together as he wiped his tears. 

"RJ, alam kong alam nyo how strong Maine is. Nilalabanan nya yung mga nararamdaman nya kaya hindi masyado ng nahahalata, but in reality, she's really struggling. Hindi na makapag-cope yung katawan nya sa problema nya sa puso. She put up a great fight, but sadly, she's losing." 

She's losing. These words echoed in RJ's mind and he had to sit down to keep himself from falling over.

"Doc, wala na ba tayong magagawa? Kahit mahintay man lang nya yung transplant?" Teddy asked while he held on to his wife who was just staring at their daughter. 

"In some cases, we can re-operate on the patient to fix yung leaking valve para mag flow ng maayos yung dugo sa puso nya." 

"Then why don't we consider that, doc, and look into it?" 

"Dahil it's too risky for Maine, Teddy, she's not a good candidate for it. If we perform another surgery on her, there's a greater chance na hindi na ulit sya magising, or worse, she might not make it out of the OR." Hearing those words gave Teddy a feeling of defeat and he struggled to keep himself composed as he spoke to the doctor. 

"At kahit pa good candidate si Maine for it, we cannot perform the surgery." The doctor continued, earning confused looks from everyone in the room. "Maine has an advance care directive, a living will." 

"Doc, anong ibig mong sabihin?" Nikki asked. 

"Maine signed a living will to be used kapag dumating yung araw na hindi nya ma-voice out yung desisyon nya; for example, kapag unconscious na sya. Teddy, Mary Ann, Maine is aware of the possibility of the valves leaking after the surgery at alam din nyang option yung re-operating but she refused. She chose to wait for the transplant." 

When no one spoke a word, the doctor continued. "Mary Ann, Teddy, Maine has given this fight all her strength. Hanggang sa puntong eto, Maine continues to fight through it, even with the smallest bit of strength she has left." 

The entire Mendoza family, along with RJ, were left in the room after the doctor explained Maine's condition and decision not to undergo another surgery unless it is the said transplant. They were baffled with Maine's decision and each of them tried to reason out in their heads. No one said a word and the only sound in the room came from the machines, quiet sobs and Maine's laboured breathing.

She has been drifting in and out of consciousness since they brought her to the hospital and she hasn't said a worse since. If one were to look closely at Maine, her body was surrendering to her illness: her full, red lips were now pale; her beautiful, expressive eyes were now kept shut; her cheekbones were now more pronounced from losing weight; her chest movement now showed how much work she's putting into breathing; her old energetic self now lay unconscious on the bed; and instead of her laughter, the sound of her struggling took over the room.