Chapter 27

"Water.." Maine's throat was so dry from being intubated that the first thing she asked for when she woke up was water, which RJ immediately took care of. 

"How are you feeling, Maine? May masakit ba sayo?" Her doctor asked as he put oxygen on her via face mask. 

Maine gave a "so-so" sign with her hand and pointed at her throat and her chest, earning worried looks from RJ and her parents. 

"You feel tired? Masakit throat mo at chest mo?" The doctor asked as he did his assessments on Maine. 

She nodded and rubbed her throat. "It's so dry.." Maine barely made a sound when she spoke and RJ held her hand, making her smile. 

"That's expected kasi you were intubated for almost 3 days, nagdry yung throat mo. Ikaw kasi, tagal mo natulog eh. You scared us." Her doctor smiled at her. 

Maine returned the smile before speaking again. "Gising nako," she said, her voice was hoarse and she sounded so weak but RJ was glad to hear her talk again. 

"Yes, you are. You have a long way to recovery, Maine, but we're glad to have you back. You said your chest is hurting?" The doctor had a worried look on his face that made RJ's heart pound. 

"Sugat po." She answered, trying to make every word audible.

"You have around the clock pain medications but you can also ask for some when you feel like you need more, ok? If that doesn't relieve the pain, we'll look at other options." 

Maine nodded and looked at RJ, giving his hand a weak squeeze, to which he returned with a rub, telling her he's glad to have her back. 

Due to Maine being on a ventilator since her surgery, careful monitoring was needed to make sure she didn't develop pneumonia or other respiratory complications. She remained in the ICU for the next two days before being transferred back up to her private room.

"Love," Maine said when she caught RJ staring at her when she opened her eyes. "Titig na titig ka sakin." 

Her voice was soft. RJ could tell she was still very weak and had very little energy in her but Maine has been smiling and engaging with him and her family. It's been over a week since her surgery and Maine was just resting in bed with her eyes closed when she felt like RJ was staring at her. 

"Gusto ko lang titigan yung girlfriend ko." RJ replied with a smile. He has been staring at her a lot because wanted to keep an eye on her whenever her eyes were closed to make sure her chest was moving up and down.

"Ganda mo, love." 

"Nambobola ka na naman." 

"Totoo." He said, leaning closer and giving her a kiss on the cheek. "Kahit medyo namumutla ka pa tsaka pagod na pagod yung mga magaganda mong mata, ang ganda ganda mo pa rin." 

"At ang pogi pogi mo pa rin, kahit ang laki na ng eyebags mo." Maine replied, teasing RJ. 

"Ganda at pogi, iistorbohin muna namin kayo." They turned towards the nurse who just walked in carrying a tray of supplies. "Susunod si doc kasi pwede na daw tanggalin yung chest tube ni Maine para na rin makapag lakad lakad sya sa hallway." The nurse said, setting the supplies on the bed side table.

RJ looked at Maine and held her hand. "Short walk tayo mamaya?" He asked, and Maine answered with a smile and a nod. 

Her doctor walked in and greeted the two before proceeding with the instructions for Maine. Her medical team has been very hands on with her case and they have been diligent in monitoring and preventing complications, whether it's related to the surgery or her condition. They pay attention to every detail of her health history and status. It is crucial to monitor her status because a missed information could be fatal, one of the doctors said.