Chapter 23

RJ woke up before everyone else to prepare breakfast for the Mendozas. 

"Naks naman, ang bango ng breakfast ah." Coleen said as she walked in the kitchen with Nikki. 

"Uy, gising na kayo. Si Maine?" RJ greeted the two while preparing their meal. 

"Tulog pa eh, tawagin na namin?" 

"Ay wag na, wag na. Dalhan ko na lang sya ng pagkain sa taas. Kain na kayo." RJ smiled at them.

Carrying a tray with french toast, omelette topped with green onions and diced cherry tomatoes, home-made sausages for minimal salt for Maine, and a bowl of fresh fruits, RJ made his way up the stairs. 

"Love?" RJ bent down to kiss Maine's forehead. "Gising na, kain na tayo." 

Maine turned to RJ and smiled at him. "Good morning." 

"Good morning, love. Nag-prepare ako ng breakfast in bed for you for our anniversary." RJ leaned over and gave Maine a kiss on the lips. 

One year. One year of love, hope, prayers, dreams, happiness and sadness. One year of fighting for their forever. Since his mother's passing, the past year have been the happiest for RJ, but it has also been the hardest. 

"Wow naman, ang special ng breakfast ngayon." Maine said, smiling at RJ. "Happy Anniversary, love." 

"Syempre, special ka sakin tsaka special tong araw na toh so kailangan special din yung breakfast mo." RJ helped Maine up and set the food tray in front of her. "At syempre, di dapat mawala toh." RJ stepped out of the room and came back with a bouquet of yellow carnations, Maine's favourite. 

The two ate breakfast together to start off their anniversary. While eating, RJ noticed Maine wasn't as cheerful as usual.

"Love, ok ka lang ba?" 

Maine looked up from her plate and gave RJ a reassuring smile while she nodded. "Sarap ng luto mo, love." 

RJ watched Maine as she ate the food he prepared and he noticed her eyes appeared more tired and quieter than usual. "May nararamdaman ka ba, love?" 

Maine shook her head and smiled. "Gusto ko pumunta sa Tagaytay today, love. For our anniversary." 

RJ planned on taking her out on a romantic dinner nearby, Manila being the farthest he considered, for their anniversary to stay close to home in case Maine needed to rest right away. But, Tagaytay? It worried him. In the past few months, it became apparent that Maine was struggling to keep up with her energetic self. As time went by, even with her efforts to not show it, RJ and her family could see how easily she gets tired. There have been a few times when she would complain of chest pain or being short of breath, and it scared RJ because it seemed to have been happening more frequently. 

"Love, di ba masyadong malayo? Baka mahirapan ka sa biyahe." RJ said with worry in his voice. 

"Kaya ko, love. Balikan lang tayo, I just want to spend our first anniversary there kahit dinner lang." 

"Eh pano pag sa Manila na lang tayo? I was gonna make a reservation par..." RJ tried to reason out with Maine but she was quick to cut him off. 

"Love," she said as she reached for his hand, as if re-assuring him that she's ok. "Minsan lang toh. Hindi na ulit mangyayari kaya I wanted to celebrate it in Tagaytay. Ngayon lang, love." 

"Maine.." RJ felt like his heart sunk to his stomach when he heard the words come out of Maine's mouth. "Don't say that." 

Maine smiled at him, "Minsan lang toh kasi our first anniversary will only come once. Yung iba, 2nd, 3rd, and so forth na." 

RJ took a deep breath and stayed quiet for a moment before looking at her again. "I'll talk to Tito and Tita kung papayag sila." 

Maine put the food tray to the side and wrapped her arms around RJ, resting her head on his chest. "Thank you, love." 

RJ closed his eyes and swallowed the lump in his throat before opening his mouth to speak. "Anything for you, Nicomaine ko." RJ could feel that this was Maine's way of preparing herself for the worst. As much as he didn't want to entertain the thought, he wanted her to be happy. 

With her parents' permission, Maine and RJ drove to Tagaytay for their anniversary. To strangers, they were just like any other ordinary couple on a date to celebrate the first year of their relationship; laughing, planning their future, exchanging punch lines, and sharing sweet thoughts. But if someone was to keep an eye on them, they would notice how Maine would suddenly knead her palm on her chest or how she would take deep breaths to aid her shortness of breath, and how RJ's smile would suddenly be replaced by worry and fear. They would see how he rushed to her side to comfort her and take out medications from her bag. It wasn't the first time it happened but this was something RJ can never get used to. 

RJ watched Maine as he slowly walked back to their table. They were seated outside on the patio, overlooking the Taal Lake, but since the sun had already set, he watched Maine stare into darkness. He could tell she was getting really tired. 

"Love, ready to go?" He asked, kissing Maine on top of her head. 

The restaurant pianist suddenly played God Gave Me You inside but it was heard loud and clear on the patio. Maine looked up at RJ and smiled. "Love, can I have this dance?" She said, offering her hand to him. 

RJ's eyes teared up and he held Maine's hand in his. "It would be an honor to dance with you, Miss Nicomaine."  

They held each other in a tight embrace and slowly swayed to the song, not wanting to let go. Just as the notes from the second verse were played, RJ felt Maine's tears on his chest and not long after, his tears came flowing down his cheeks. 

Maine was asleep the entire car ride and RJ carried her up to her room when they got home. After tucking her in bed, Coleen and Nikki came in to sleep with her. 

After everything that has happened, he was happy to have spent their first year anniversary the way they did but there was a heavy feeling in his heart that he couldn't explain. He noticed how she got tired faster lately and since the morning Maine prepared breakfast for all of them and announced that she finished her novel, he felt like her actions and words had a different meaning to them. 

RJ stared up at the ceiling, his heart so heavy, and prayed to God that wasn't Maine's way of saying goodbye.