Chapter 10

"Maine? Ok ka lang?" RJ quickly looked at Maine who was unusually quiet in the car. 

Maine just gave him a sweet smile and said, "I'm ok." 

"Sigurado ka ha? It's been a long day, pahinga ka na pagdating natin sa condo mo ha." They've been on the go since early in the morning, running errands together before finally deciding to watch a movie at the mall. Being the food lovers they are, they've also been snacking constantly throughout the day. 

"Siguradong sigurado. RJ, may lakad ka ba bukas?" 

"Ako? Wala naman. Bakit? Yayayain mo ako makipag date ulit sayo? Naksss iba na ngayon ha, are you asking me out on a date Miss Maine Mendoza?" RJ teased her with a grin. 

"Feelingero ka Mr. Richard Faulkerson Jr.. Kota ka na sa isang buwan sa dami ng date natin, next month naman ulit", she replied with a giggle. 

"Grabe ka naman, it's only the 15th, 2 weeks pa bago tayo lumabas ulit?" RJ said giving her a pout. 

"Inisip mo talaga yung date ngayon ha at kung gano pa katagal bago katapusan." Maine couldn't help but laugh at RJ. 

"Bakit nga kasi? You need help with anything?" 

"Hindi, I'm actually going home to Bulacan later tonight kasi dun ako mag weekend." 

"Ah ok. Bakit mo natanong kung may lakad ako bukas?" 

"Ayoko pa kasi umuwi pero baka kailangan mo makauwi ng maaga."

"Sus! Sabihin mo mamimiss moko sa weekend kaya gusto mo pa ako makasama ng mas matagal ngayon." 

"Hindi ko alam feelingero ka pala talaga, RJ," Maine said, teasing him.

RJ laughed with Maine and he was more than happy to grant her request. He drove through the streets of Manila and parked his car across Manila Bay where they walked and watched the sunset together.

"Seryoso? 10 years ka ng hindi nakakakain nito?" 

"Mhm. As in hindi pako umaalis for the States nun, matagal na akong hindi nakakain." 

"Saang lupalop ka nanggaling, Maine?" RJ looked at her in disbelief. 

"Oy, grabe ka naman. Nakakain naman na ako, matagal na nga lang yung last." Maine replied as she took a bite from the isaw in her hand. "Hay, ang sarap pa rin talaga."

"Tapos ternohan mo pa ng sago't gulaman. Parang ganito." He gave Maine her own cup and took a sip from his. "Ahhhh. Heaven!" 

"Para tayong hindi kumain buong araw." Maine laughed as she looked at more than a dozen of used barbecue sticks in front of them and about half a dozen more that are about to be eaten. 

"Alam mo ba, dati, halos araw araw akong kumakain ng isaw after school? Pag labasan na namin, dun nako tumatambay sa labas ng school namin kasi nakahilera na dun yung mga nagtitinda." Maine shared as she took a bite from her isaw. 

"Eh bakit ang tagal mong di kumain ng isaw kung ganun mo sya kagusto dati?" 

Maine looked at him and smiled before looking ahead at the water. They're currently sitting on one of the benches by the water as they enjoy their isaws. "Sabihin na lang natin na life happened and some things just weren't the same anymore, isa na yung isaw dun." 

RJ looked at her and saw that despite their late night talks and long conversations, there's still more to know about Maine. If there's one thing he learned about the girl sitting beside him, it is that she's reserved. He felt privileged to have Maine open up to him about her worries and fears because he knows it's not easy for her to share her thoughts and emotions with other people. RJ cherishes their quiet times as they serve as a way for Maine to reflect on her own thoughts but he lets her set the pace. He wants Maine to know that if she ever needs a person to talk to, she can always turn to him for that. And she does, she opens up to him.