Chapter 6 - The Fall

The Fall

West Mountain is known for its dangerous creatures, something big and very threatening. Sometimes a mythical, cave-dwelling as either a giant or a dwarf. But no one dared to prove it.

We are already in the West Mountain and it's already getting dark. I don't know if I can survive in this forest with them. Although they are mermaids they are not ordinary and Wensley is a well-trained huntsman. He knows how to fight. And here I am, taking a brave step to keep moving even though I don't know how to protect myself from anyone.

I am lying if I will say that I'm not scared. I'm totally scared right now. Because any minute there is a possibility that I can't make it.

"Don't worry, princess, we'll protect you." Said Cara and she smiles at me.

Those words felt like safe. That there is no one will harm me. But we are in the reality that you will protect yourself when you are in danger.

"Let's rest here," said Wensley. We enter a small cave then I immediately sit on the corner, I'm damn tired.

I didn't see Wensley, where is he?

I stand up and go outside, and then he suddenly appears in front of me.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"I'm looking for you," Feeling glad that he is safe.

He held my arm and drags me inside the cave.

"Don't ever go outside its dangerous." He warned me.

"You know it's dangerous but you go outside. What if something happens?"

He looked at me, "I'm a huntsman, and I lived in the forest hunting wild animals or deadly creatures."

I looked down, sighing, "Yeah, I forgot. How stupid of me." Agreeing of what he just said. I always forgot that he is a huntsman.

I'm really dying out of curiosity, why we risk life in this mountain? "But seriously, what's the reason we came here? It's a dangerous mountain we don't even know what kind of creatures are ahead of us."

"You'll know when we get-" I cut him off. Slightly pissed off.

"When we get there? What if we didn't survive this night? What if the four of you only survives?"

The what ifs are playing around my mind. It has a possibility that it might happen. And I'm scared.

"That's why he called me. To protect you."

"But I'm not a child! I don't need protection from anyone." I know that this conversation is going nowhere and I'm going to lose. But I don't know anymore what is the reason we're doing this or for what reason why we came here.

Father said to me that I need to go somewhere safe not the opposite of it.

"You need it, you badly need it." He said calmly. "Look, I'm not the person who can answer your question, kiddo. Ask Syrene, she knows everything."

Syrene, the kid who knew everything. A kid.

"I'm hopeless." I said, giving up the argument. "It feels like I'm a new born baby, new to this world."

Ignorant. Innocent. I thought.

I thought I know my parents but the images I saw through Syrene was practically different. I didn't know my mom was a protector, I didn't know that they met like that, I didn't know that my mother was killed. And now, I don't know myself anymore. If I was like my mother or just like my father or anything in between them. Since they are no longer with me, I am feeling empty and lonely.

"I wish they are here to tell me everything," I said.

"I know it's been hard for you but-"He stops and seconds later we were on the ground.

"What was that?" I said, avoiding his eyes and our faces which are inches away.

We stand up quickly and he grabs my arm and he hid me behind him. He really became my protector. "Stay at my back."

I nervously nod and look at the back. Why is there a pickaxe attach to the wall? Another weapon stick to the wall this time is a bow arrow. I look at the front but can't see anything. It's dark and his back is covering me.

"They want to kill us, right?" I asked though not expecting an answer to anyone.

A female voice suddenly appears, "Maybe, maybe not." It's Cara, thankfully they are here.

"Can you see anything?" Asked Margot.

"No, but I am sure there are nine of them."

"Nine what?" I blurted out. And then a big, deep laugh dominated the whole mountain. "What's that?"

"Can you see something?" Asked Wensley.

"Uhh.. how about you? Can... can you see something?" I whisper to him.

"No, it's very dark."

What? I started panicking. Wensley can't even see what I can see. He is the professional here and I'm just nothing how can I see... that?

"Eadlyn," Syrene called me. "You can see it, don't you?"

My eyes got bigger and my throat became dry all of a sudden. I didn't know that one question from her is making me nervous like this.

Should I say yes? Or no? "Actually..." She looks at me while the three are on alert. "they are looking at me."

Syrene is not even surprised but Wensley, Cara and Margot became more protective. "You can see them, right?" I asked Syrene.

She calmly said and look at the front, "No, Eadlyn. They are invincible."

"What? How? Why? I.. I..." I can't find the right words to say. Syrene is a special kid, she has powers but she can't see that? I don't understand.

"You heard her? She can see us!" A man's voice.

I tried to avoid their gazes but they are too big for me to avoid.

"Really?"

"Who? There are four 'she'!"

"The girl behind the man! You fool!" They started laughing.

"Oohh... I think she's delicious!" Another man's voice said.

This time I look at the man who said I'm delicious. Our eyes met, his big blue eyes are staring right at me. Wensley hold my arms tight trying to protect me from them.

"Don't look at them!" Said Wensley.

"It's too late, huntsman. I tried." I nervously replied back.