Chapter 3 - The Fall

The Fall

Chapter Three

Old folks say that mermaids are described as monstrous and ugly a creature that lives in water, but they are more usually very beautiful. Above the waist they appear as lovely young women, whilst from the waist down, they are like a fish with fins and a spreading tail.

It's a growing myth in Ravenwood and no one ever proved that it's true, that's why it called a myth.

They live in Aegean Sea, north-west part of the Ravenwood City. In a past twenty years of Eadlyn, this is the first time she heard the Aegean Sea and encounters a real mermaid.

"We need help," said Wensley, the huntsman.

As if they know what help we need, they look at me with pity.

"I'm sorry about what happened in your city, Princess Eadlyn." Said Cara and bow a little.

I kept my silence because I didn't want to show them what I truly feel, the sadness, grievances, longing of my beloved father. If I come back sooner, are they alive and safe?

"We heard the King's help," said Margot, "across the sea and through the land of humans." They heard it even from afar, through the crying pain of many men's, soldiers, warriors. They heard it.

"Everyone seeks help," I said, "but I need answers how to find it," I look at the two mermaids swimming around us. "I need help." I said with sincerity.

I don't know where to start or what help I need to come back to the Ravenwood City. I don't even know what lies come ahead of us in our journey. The appearance of the mermaids which father knows about the tales and story of them. What else do I need to know? What is the reason why we need their help? I just need answers to my questions. I just need to know what lead us in here and what started the bloodlust war.

"It seems, Princess Eadlyn, has too much questions that needed an answers." Cara said.

I looked at her, suspiciously. How did she know what was I thinking? Is she a mind reader or did she actually read what was in my mind?

"We can see it through your eyes, Princess Eadlyn." Margot said in a low tone.

I looked away to avoid eye contact, I'm afraid they read everything in my eyes because the eye is the window through our soul.

"Can you lead us to your Silver Cave?" Wensley said.

Cara agreed and they pull our boat to lead us in Silver Cave.

The path seemed darker and darker and fogs started to appear I can barely see what is ahead of us. The sound around us is very calming; the sound of water below as they swim, and the beautiful and melodic hummed as we grow closer the sound of them humming is getting louder and louder.

"Where are we?" I asked with no one in particular.

"We are in the entrance of the sacred Silver Cave, Princess Eadlyn," Cara said, "we welcome you to our home."

"Home?" I muttered.

We stopped and the fog disappears. I gasped when I saw the inside of the cave. They were many of them, above the waist beautiful and elegant. I stand up and looked at everyone.

They were looking at me, "We welcome you to our home, Princess Eadlyn." They all said in chorus and curtsied at me.

The warmth greeting they gave at me is very overwhelming I don't know if I deserve their respect. It's so surreal to me that the tales I read when I was young was true from the very beginning. That they are not monsters, that they shouldn't be feared. They're beautiful creatures that should be protected and show respect.

"Please, I don't deserve such greetings," I said and a smile shows in my face. "Thank you for welcoming me here in your home." I said and looked at everyone.

"It's our pleasure Princess Eadlyn to having you here." said a young girl with a golden hair.

I get off in the boat and land my feet on the ground and I follow him since I think he already knows this place a lot. "This place is... enormous for them to use, is that right?" I said as I keep looking along the cave.

It's like a secret hideout but how can a mermaid enter this kind of hard ground when they have no feet? It's a big question for me and my question is already answered when I finally what's ahead of us.

"You..." I froze a minute and realize that this isn't a dream. "You can walk." I practically said it to no one but myself.

She giggled and smiled at me, "Yes, your Highness, we have feet like you."

"Great. I'm just wondering if it's true but then again seeing you all standing in front of me, my curiosity is already answered." I sit in the chair near me and calm myself. This, right now, I'm having a mental breakdown. Really.

A young girl earlier came to me and held my hands. "Do you hear it too, your Highness?"

"What?"

"They bawl for help. They shed tears of blood. They whimper the endless pain. Do you hear it too? Do you see it?"

I shiver of what I heard. My hands started to shake and eyes are watery. Yes, I heard and saw them. I wanted to tell this to her but I can't speak a word. I just...

"We can help, Princess Eadlyn." Said Cara, "Before anything of this happens, our king seeks for our help. And we pledge to the king that whatever help he needed we are always in here."

"What should I do? You pledge to the king not to the princess."

She puts her hand in my shoulder and smile at me. "You're sharing the same blood as our king. And you have the same intention."

Blood. Intention. "How... I don't even know who started this and I don't know what help do I need. I'm just a princess who knows nothing. I'm... useless."

"The eyes are useless when the mind is blind, Princess Eadlyn," said Margot, "And I can see it in your eyes. You're not useless those men are."

Yes, she's right, I can't take blind eye for what happen to the city. But it is true that I'm useless because I left them, I ran away. And that's being a coward and weak is.

"I think she would need rest." He said and looks at me. "She's... tired. Very tired." Those eyes there are something in his eyes that I can't explain instead I looked away and wiped my tears.

"Are you okay with this?" He asked.

My bed is hard as rock but warm like I used to. "I already tried to sleep in the ground so there's no problem with this."

"Anything you need?"

"None. You can go. I know you need rest too." But he doesn't budge and he stared at me deeply like he wanted to say anything.

"In this world there are many people who you think are a good person but when you already know them they show their true colours and will stab you front and back. But do you know that there are also many people who aren't a people?"

What is he saying?

He left with a statement, 'people that aren't a people'. Does it mean that there is another creature like mermaids that were look alike like people? Isn't that what he's trying to say? That in this world not only us and mermaid are breathing in the same air. There is more.