The Conflict

"Haha. Yeah! We'll not be late. Just that we are slightly off schedule. Instead of 7, we'll be there by 8. Ya, I know... but women. What can you say?" He adjusted his grey muffler scarf that sat comfortably on his white shirt. "Do you think I'll argue with her? Haha. Ya, you know her too. But don't worry, we'll be there max by 8. And..." Raj opened the door of the room. "And we'll be there. Now let me hang up otherwise don't blame me for reaching there after 8. Bye. Take care."

Raj's smile faded and walked into the room towards his cupboard. Opening his cupboard, he pulled out his classic black suit that was worn at the Filmfare night last year. He admired the little tie bow with a diamond that looked perfect with the white shirt under the suit. Although it was just a suit for others, Raj was always impressed with the comfort and style of it.

He turned around with a smile on his face and placed it on the bed carefully. Looking up towards the dressing table, his smile started fading away. "You are not yet ready? We have to leave."

"Hmm..." Simran was busy applying kajal under her eyes.

"You know it takes you an hour to get ready. Please don't waste time. Go and get ready." Raj turned around and closed the cupboard.

Simran stopped and looked at Raj through the mirror.

"So now you'll give me instructions?" Simran placed the kajal pencil in her makeup box.

"I'm not giving you instructions. I just don't want you to forget that my reputation is at stake more than yours." Raj started removing his muffler scarf.

"I'm an actress too and..."

"But my movie is releasing next week. So, the focus will be on me." Raj started unbuttoning his shirt.

"Oh, is it? Then I'm ready." Simran smiled.

"What? Don't be stupid. You can't come with me in that silly black dress."

"If your reputation is at stake, I'll do everything possible to ruin it."

Raj looked at her and gave her a death stare. "I'm not in a mood of listening to any of your bullshit. So, don't irritate me and..."

"Why? Focus will be on you and how does it matter what am I wearing?" Simran started rolling her hair upwards to form a top knot.

Raj clinched his teeth and shut his eyes tight. He took a deep breath and said, "Actually, you know what, it doesn't matter at all." He buttoned his shirt. "We have to file for a divorce soon and better than giving our fans the ultimate shock, later on, let's give them a hint at Raman's show." He wrapped the muffler scarf around his neck. "How does it matter that we will be celebrating 21 years of togetherness on-screen tonight? How does it matter what will..." He took the suit placed on the bed and threw it on the floor. "People think if we do not dress well on a special occasion? What matters is a silly reason for you to fight and spoil everything." He started moving out of the room. "I'm waiting down." He stormed out of the room and banged the door behind him.

Simran's eyebrows slanted upwards and a frown formed on her face. "You made a right mess of that." Looking at herself, she sat upright and displayed a broad smile on her face. "Practice that smile Simran. You'll need it throughout the event." She opened her makeup kit and started applying makeup again.

----------------------------------------------

Waiting in his Mitsubishi Pajero SFX, playing with his teardrop shaped Aviators, Raj looked out and noticed Simran walking towards the car in the same dress that was the reason for the latest argument between them. He nodded. "Sad that I thought she would care. Wrong again." He wore the Aviators.

Simran got into the car, and the driver moved the car forward.

For some time, there was no conversation between the couple; only melodious tracks were being played on the radio station.

"So, so, so, we are down to the top 3 songs of the decade," Radio Jockey started humming a tune. "Did you guess it?"

"Jab, tu pehli baar mila tha, tab, hum hum hum hum..." Simran opened her eyes, and a slight smile was on her lips. She looked at Raj and pressed her lips tight. Her smile started fading away.

"I'm sure you have guessed it by now. Yes! It is pehli baar from the movie The Yellow Train and it features none other than the best Bollywood couple Raj and Simran. But wait! There is more to it. The top 3 songs of the decade have this jodi only. Keep guessing the top 2 songs while you enjoy this melodies track."

"Khel se zyada iss mein junoon hota hai, Jaam se zyada iss mein nasha hota hai... Roke na koi rukta hai, pehli baar jisse pyaar hota hai." Raj winced and folded his arms across his chest.

Simran shook her head and smiled. "Best Jodi. Huh! I wish life was a film where everything was perfect like The Yellow Train."

"Everything could be perfect if you stop looking at things negatively."

"Here, you are the one who is being negative."

Raj wrinkled his nose. "Don't start it again. I'm not interested in talking to you."

"Me either."

Raj leaned forward, flexed his muscles and turned off the radio.

P.S.

I know I f***ed up the lyrics part. Forgive me for it :D

Short story. Shorter than the previous one . :D