05 | obsession

05 | obsession

(n) something about which one is constantly thinking or concerned

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I gave him a smile and he returned one. He was wearing his straightjacket today and I had a feeling that I was against it. It feels too real. He is really my patient and I am still trying to process that thought and force myself to accept it.

I can only see him as a good acquaintance... maybe a friend.

Does he?

"Anyway, you said you got me something." He said. "What have you got for me?" He asked, his eyes looking keenly at my bag and I tensed a little.

I looked at my bag and took out the small box and gave it to him, sliding it across the table towards him and he looked at the box, narrowing his eyes at it. Once the box reached the middle of the table, I opened it and showed him the gold ring that shined brightly with the letter J.

He smiled, leaning forward, his teeth showing. His lips wide apart. It looked like he was silently laughing. Looking up, he studied me again and I narrowed my eyes at him.

Why does he always do that?

Does he not trust me?

Ofcourse he would not trust me. He is a murderer and he might think that ring has a tracking device or something. I need to gain his trust and I am kind of willing to do whatever it takes. He is an intersting patient and made my life a lot more interesting these past few days.

Time.

That was all he needed. Oh, and more thing.

Care.

And probably a friend.

"Thank you." He emphasized the you and once again it had the sensual tone underlying it and his icy cold eyes glazed over me, trying to read me. "I really appreciate that." He added.

"Its my pleasure really." I said. "You bought me a ring too. And, thank you for that. Its beautiful." I added, looking at the ring on my right hand.

"It matches." He immediately added and gave me a smile that made my heart skip a beat. "Its a shame I can't wear it right now and match you." He breathed out and I blinked my eyes twice, confusion etched on my face and then looked down to see his straightjacket.

"Oh." I said.

"Maybe I can ask the guard to remove it." I said. "Would you like that?" I asked.

He gave me a smile again. The silent smile. His mouth open, showing his full row of teeth. It was an intriguing smile.

"Yes. Dr. Harleen Quinzel." He said.

I didn't like the fact that we were too formal with one another.

"If you call me Dr. Harleen Quinzel one more time, I will call you Mr. Joker for the rest of the sessions." I playfully warned him and he laughed, flipping his head back. His laughter sent chills down my spine as it echoed around the four grey walls.

"Fine." He said. "Call me Mr. J and I will call you...?" He dragged.

"Um. Harleen?" I asked him.

"Harleen it is." He said and then his head raised, looking at me like he got a bright idea. "Are we friends?" He asked.

"Do you want to be my friend?" I asked, giving him a playful smile.

"Do you?" He asked.

I thought about it. Being The Joker's friend? Is that bad? Yes, that is. But, he is my patient, and I'm here to cure him. So, in our case, being his friend is not bad and I am really keen on gaining his trust to care about friendship regulations and rules right now.

"Why not?" I said. And, he gave me the Silent Joker Smile again and I smiled back, a normal one with just my lips cuving up.

I adjusted my thick rimmed glasses and turned to call the guards--

"Remove it." He said.

I quickly turn back to face him. Confusion written all over my face. I didn't understand what he was trying to say.

Remove what?

He understood my reaction and said, "Remove your glasses. You don't need them with me." He said and my eyes widened.

He remembered.

I thought he would have forgotten.

I reached for my glasses and removed them, folding them neatly and placing them in my bag, my hands were shaking while doing so and I didn't know why. Maybe because he was looking at me the whole time and I could feel his burning stare right at me.

I suddenly felt shy to look at him without my glasses. I felt protected with my glasses on. I felt official. And, now I feel like myself. And, I felt naked without it. I mean, I wore it all the time, except at home where no one was watching.

"Harleen." His calming and soothing voice said my name which rolled off his tongue like honey and I still didn't look up. I tucked a strand of my loose hair behind my ear.

"If I were blind," he paused.

"Within my heart," he paused again.

"I could still see the beauty that is you." He finished.

I suddenly could not remember how to breathe.

"Look up Harleen." He said, his calming and throaty voice brought my nerves on edge and I pursed my lips.

I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks and I felt like the air around me was hot.

No one in my life has ever called me beautiful.

I slowly looked up, meeting his icy cold eyes and I felt like I was drowning in the beauty of it for a second. The icy blueness generated a feeling like I was being pulled into a lake of frozen emotions. It was like all the myriad shades of blue swirled together to form a whirlpool of apprehension.

His eyes sparkled like storm clouds right before lightning hit. Clouds of grey and blue threatened floods and fury while his pupils dilated in admiration.

He had beautiful eyes.

I didn't know for how long we were staring but when the bell rang, signalling the session is over, I could feel a tinge of disappointment in me.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Hey guys!

Comment, vote and share.