CHAPTER 8

✾✾✾

Chapter 8The Second Thoughts

Chapter 8
The Second Thoughts

✾✾✾

Lauren's whole body froze as a loud alarm blasted through the halls during their training session

Lauren's whole body froze as a loud alarm blasted through the halls during their training session. No one moved for what felt like an eternity before a wave of realization washed over them. While everyone else ran to get their suits on, the Taylor girl stayed by the small pond with a million thoughts running through her head. Sure, she'd been through numerous training scenarios and practiced every chance she got, but nothing would prepare her for the real thing. Nothing would prepare her for actually facing the King of Darkness and his shadow army. It wasn't long after that when Lauren finally snapped out of her daze and followed her teammates.

As soon as she made it to the locker room, Lauren went to her section of the large space to get ready for what was to come. Her eyes studied the black jumpsuit with blue detailing for a long moment before she forced herself to change into it. Once she looked at the part of a hero, the blonde girl closed her locker door and went to join the rest of the team in the mission bay. Lauren did her best to hide her emotions as she walked past Marie and Matt and toward the center of the room where Umi was standing.

"Where are we heading?" she asked while grabbing a communicator from the case on the table and placing it in her ear. Only a second passed before everyone else around her moved to follow her actions.

As they grabbed their earpieces, Lauren turned her attention toward the Seer to get their instructions, only to see Umi lost in thought as she stared at the monitors in front of her. A wave of confusion washed over the leader of the Chosen as she stared at the white-haired woman. Throughout their time together, Umi always seemed to be radiating confidence and made sure they knew they were the right fit for the job. But at that moment, Lauren could see the hint of doubt in Umi's eyes despite how hard the latter tried to hide it. It wasn't long before the rest of the heroes started to notice the Seer's state.

"Earth to Umi," Matt said while snapping his fingers in front of the white-haired woman's face, causing the Zerrin woman to come out of her trance as she looked over at them with a blank look in her eyes.