Generals, Tea, and Pai Sho

Err sorry for the two months wait. As stated in the beginning, I might not continue with this. BUT, if I ever do decide to abandon it, I'll let you all know :) For now, The updates won't be regular... With work I'm not sure how often I'll have the ambition or creativity to write.

For now, enjoy the new chapter. 

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

After sleeping on a bed made of furs and snow, the feeling of waking on a hard, cold surface soothes my back, but also pains it. Slowly opening my eyes, I'm met with a dark, metal cage. A prison. Due to just having woken up, I can't remember how in the world I got here. 

That is, until I spot the guard outside the bars. The red armor with gold trim, the dark red and silver helm. Firenation. 

The memory of passing out once again hits me like a rock. 

I go to get up, only to hiss in pain as the muscles in my back protest, both from the burns and lack of movement. Though I'm happy to note that the pain from the burns seem to have lessened. 

Suddenly, my stomach rumbles loudly, letting me know that I must have been out for some time, if I was that hungry. The guard must have heard it, for he walked away, only to return moments later with an older man. 

He was of average height, with a large belly and grey hair pulled into a top knot. He wore simple red robes, and a large smile on his face. His hands carried a tray with a teapot and some food. 

With a simple look towards the guard, the cell door is opened, and he comes in. "Hello," he says, his voice kind and reassuring, a strange thing to hear from one of my captors. "My name is Iroh. I've brought you some tea and bread. You must be hungry." He sets the tray down next to me, his eyes roaming over my face, resting on the tip of the scar on my left shoulder. 

The smell of the bread causes my stomach to rumble once more, making me grimace. Knowing that I must sit up, I bite my lip to silence any sound that I might make. Instead of moving quickly, like I ever so wanted, I take it slow. The man, Iroh, must have noticed my pain, for he moves to try and help me.

The moment his hands touch me, I flinch away, causing him to back off. After what felt like hours, but was only seconds, I'm in a sitting position with him sitting on the cold floor across from me. "Who did that to you?" He asks, pouring the tea into a cup for me. 

"The man with the scar across his eye..." I whisper, my voice hoarse. 

Iroh's eyes soften, passing the cup to me. "That would be my nephew, Prince Zuko. I am so sorry for the pain he has caused you."

I take the cup from him, taking a sip before responding, wanting to get away from the topic of my burn. "This is Jasmine, right?" He nods once, his eyes seeming to glint with a passion. "I prefer Ginseng myself, but it is so hard to get it right. Thank you." I whisper. 

"You are a woman after my own heart! You know your tea's." He smiles, and I decide right there that no matter what happens, this was a good man, a trustworthy man. 

"Now if only you had Pai Sho to help pass the time in this cell, I would be eternally grateful."I muse, grabbing a slice of the bread, the smell of it's freshness almost making me drool.

Iroh practically jumps up in excitement. "I will be right back!" He exclaims, the guard opening the door for the old man who suddenly gained a pep in his step. 

I chuckle softly at him as I take a bite of the sweet bread. As I chew, my fingers run through my hair, getting most of the tangles. I only wished I had cut it shorter when Gran Gran had asked me. If I had known I would be sleeping in a cell, it would have made it more manageable.

By the time I had finished eating my slice, and pouring another cup of tea, Iroh was back, a Pai Sho table in his hands. My eyes light up at the sight of it, weeks of not playing the game had me sad. The water tribe had no such game, nothing to ease my days as I rested in bed. 

Another guard behind him, was carrying pillows, blankets, and several candles. Iroh outdid himself. I was a prisoner, not a guest. Instantly feeling guilty, I look down into my tea. 

"I brought some pillows and blankets, it's much too cold down here. You'll get sick. I can't have my Pai Sho partner getting sick on me!" He claims, moving stuff around to make it comfortable and homey. When he places the candles down, he turns his back to them for only a moment. Taking my chance, I muster up all of the anger I had when Scarface had threatened me. 

Heat coursed through my body, starting in my chest. I knew, somehow, that I had to redirect it. So, I thought about having a ball of fire in my hand, where all of that heat would go. It seems, that I knew what I was doing. For when Iroh turned around to light the candles, I willed the fire to fly from the palm of my hand, to light each wic. And it did just that. Iroh jumped up in surprise, then looked at me in shock.  "Don't look at me. This is the third time I've dealt with fire in 11 years..."

Iroh sits down, staring at me, rubbing his chin. "My nephew was right. I had thought he was crazy, claiming you were a firebender. Tell me child, who were you born to?"

Placing my hands in my lap, I shrug, slightly hissing at the pain of doing so. "No one knows. The village I grew up in claimed that I was left on the doorstep of a family, clothed in nothing but a white blanket. When they picked me up, the flames on the candles in their home grew to twice their size. That's when they named me Shenmi Huo."

"Mysterious Fire, it suits you, for you are certainly a mystery. Come, let us on dwell on the past. Let us see just how well of a Pai Sho player you are."

--------------------------------------------------

Iroh was irate. Never had he lost so many games to someone so young. Apparently, my mind worked in ways that shocked him. 

"Again! This time I will not lose!" He states, his eyes glinting with merriment. With a laugh, I reset the table, eager to win once more.

"Give it up Iroh, You won't win." Unknown to us, many of the crew had come down to watch the man loose. It must have been a rare sight. However, that changed in an instant when the door slammed open, the crew scrambling to get back to where they were needed. Iroh and I ignored it, focused entirely on the game, and on our freshly warmed tea. 

"Uncle! What are you doing with the traitor?!" Zuko shouts, his face contorted with rage. I ignore him, and make my move with a smirk, knowing that once again, Iroh will fall for my trick. 

"Nephew, this woman is brilliant at Pai Sho! I have finally met my match." 

The cell door slams open, finally making me look up into Zuko's face. I pull the blanket around me tighter, hiding my body from him. I was only in my bindings, letting the scar breathe. I send a glare his way. 

"Get out of there! The filthy peasant is of no concern to you. Besides, we've docked, we need to find someone to repair the ship."

"Repair the ship?" I ask, "What happened? How long was I out for?" 

Iroh smiles sadly at me. "Several days. You slept right through the Avatar's escape." The Avatar. Aang. He was still alive and safe. Standing, he adds, "I'm curious why he didn't try to get you out as well."

I shrug, the movement becoming easier the more I do it. "He never met me, and I'm sure Katara and Sokka didn't realize that I was here, else they would have convinced him."

"This isn't storytime, Uncle! Let's go!" Zuko growls. 

"Very well. We will continue this later Shenmi." Iroh states as he stands. He turns to leave, before quickly turning back and bowing. "It was an honor to play with you." I smile at him, watching him walk away. Zuko, still standing there, sends a glare towards me. 

"Move along Scarface. I must rest." I claim, slowly laying down with my back turned towards him. I wanted nothing to do with Zuko, not now. 

The slam of the cell door, and an angry shout notifies me that he's left.

Shinto, I think, Happy birthday.