Her Majesty Queen Jane

She was a powerful woman, Elizabeth was. Anyone, even a blind man, could see that. At 19 she had lost the king's baby and she was, if possible, even higher up than before. Word had spread quickly about what had occurred, though only the royal family knew the truth. Many assumed Elizabeth had fallen ill. Only a few had suspected correctly. When Jane was informed of what had happened she couldn't help feeling bad for the young woman. She had been thrust upon the king at 18 and she was still so young, two years later. Jane rubbed her six month pregnant belly and prayed it was a boy. She knew what would happen if it wasn't. It would become a pattern. Catherine had been Queen for so long and then the enticing Anne Boleyn tore it all down. Anne had control over Henry's heart for ten years and then she had come in and thrown it all out the window. She still felt guilty over it sometimes. There were those who now idolized Anne. They felt that she had been wronged. The poems about Jane after Anne's death had been cruel and while Henry had punished the men who had composed them, they spread throughout England. They also lost some support through France. They had loved Anne. While Anne and Henry's marriage had been questionable and Elizabeth had been considered a bastard, she still impressed the french. Elizabeth Langdon was Henry's most successful mistress. She had been given a title, she had not one but two manors, was very wealthy, and most of all, the king loved her. Nobody knew why he wasn't married to her instead of Jane. Everyone knew what would happen if Jane had a daughter. If she failed.

So Jane did what she thought would be best and invited the young woman to join her for tea in her presence chamber. Elizabeth had agreed and now a week later both were sitting across from each other. Elizabeth was sat as comfortably as she could with what discomfort among the two women still remained. The three ladies she had brought with her were stood near their mistress should she have need of anything. Tea was served silently to the powerful women. "How are you feeling Lady Elizabeth?" A few of her ladies paused for a moment before continuing in what they were doing. "I'm fine Your Majesty. Doctor Linacre has given me a clean bill of health and I should be able to do everything once again in a few days." Physically Elizabeth was fine. But her mask of serenity and comfort was cracking. She had only been out in public twice since the loss of her baby. She had broken down crying three times in two days and the only person who had been able to calm her down had been Henry. Jane could see that her attempts were not going to be easy. Elizabeth had played the courtly game much longer than Jane had and knew every trick in the book. If Jane didn't genuinely try to get to know Elizabeth, well there was only three months left until she would have her child. If it was a girl she would be meeting god sooner than expected. "That is good news. Do you have what to wear for the banquet at the week's end?" Jane questioned. She finally seemed to catch the girl's interest as Elizabeth perked slightly. "His Majesty sent me a lovely red gown. I think I shall wear that. I have not had a chance to do so." Jane suppressed a flinch. It was well known that Elizabeth was allowed to wear the colors of royalty. "That sounds lovely. I heard you were planning a trip somewhere?" Elizabeth nodded. "Yes Your Majesty. I asked his majesty to grant me permission to journey to Hatfield. I am in contact with the Lady Bryan who thought to mention that Elizabeth has asked for me." "I did not realize you were close with the Lady Elizabeth." "Anne may not have liked me, but she insured that should something ever happen to her, should she no longer be able to care for her daughter, that I would. I came to know the Lady Elizabeth through both her mother and her father. She has apparently been very disheartened lately." "Surely she has companions?" Elizabeth's face became blank. "His majesty has blamed the young Lady Elizabeth for her mother's mistakes, going as far as to claim she is not his. As you well know, Anne's son was deformed. What Henry doesn't know or want to is that Anne was poisoned. The only person who had been seen purchasing said poison was your brother, Thomas. I have evidence. I have reasonable belief that the child would have been born healthy otherwise." Elizabeth winced as she rose. "I warned you that you didn't want to cross me Madam. You didn't listen. Do not think for a moment that I don't know that it was you who whispered in Henry's ear that Elizabeth wasn't his. You best be careful Madam. You're playing the court game. Unfortunately in everyone's eyes you're the pawn." She made her way to the door and just before exiting she reminded Jane of something very important. "In this game, I'm the Queen." With a mock curtsy Elizabeth was gone.

Jane was panicking. She didn't know how Elizabeth knew but she was now hanging on by a thread. Elizabeth held all the leverage and Jane was now at risk. The only thing keeping her safe was her son. But even that was not comforting for she knew that there was a chance that she would have a daughter or for her child to be born dead. She was losing.

Elizabeth had never been so daring before in her life. While she held Henry's heart, Jane was still potentially carrying her lover's heir. She knew though, that she now had leverage over the queen's family. She had a weapon and she knew they would never attempt to make a ploy on her life. She was safe. She could say that wholeheartedly as she leaned back into Henry's chest with a grin. "I've missed you." He stated. "And I you, my love. But I am back and I am all yours." Henry placed a kiss to her neck. "Indeed you are. That will never change." "Good." She turned herself around to face him. "Promise me." "Promise what?" "Promise me that you will always keep me in your heart. Promise that whatever might happen, whatever comes in the future, no matter what, I will always be in your heart." Henry was bewildered by the change in conversation but nodded. "I promise." "Thank you." She grinned. "Now I do believe that we still have three more days to make up for don't we?" Henry turned the grin.

She Was Safe. For A While