Chapter 1

Light

~~~~~~~

"Ha! Loser!" I hear people yelling at me as walk down the dark halls of the institution, that most people call high school. Today is the last day before winter break and I couldn't be happier to get out of this hell hole. "Stop." Is all I can respond to the dicks that is the senior class. I can't wait until junior year is over. I'll be 18 and I can make my own choices. They are constantly pushing me and punching me.

Teachers watch and act like they don't see anything. "Fucking dork." I hear coping behind me. I roll my eyes and stride off down the hallway. At the end of the hall, I reach my class for my last final. I adjust my sweater vest with my white button up shirt underneath it. I look around the class room and take a seat in the first row, like always.

We have seven minutes remaining to get to our class but I have no one to meet or to talk to. I decide to stay and play on my phone for a while. I unlock it and look through my 10 contacts. No one will answer. I don't even know how I came to acquire these phone numbers. I roll my eyes and lock my phone. I literally watch as the seconds go by during this passing period.

When there are three minutes remaining the class fills up. The two desks that are around me are the last to be filled, of course. No one wants to sit by an English dork. I just look forward at the board and begin to read the boarder on the bulletin board to pass the time.

"Hey HAROLD! Look!" Chase, who is the football captain, points out of the tall window looking onto the parking lot. I walk over to the window and lean to get a better view. "Bloody hell." Is all I can manage to say. There are a few boys, who's faces I have seen before, slashing my tires. "That's my fathers car, you idiots!" I can never win in this place.

I decide to sit back down and rest my head in my hands. When the bell finally rings, everyone has a seat and of course hey act innocent. "Here's the test. No talking." My teacher hands out the exams and within 45 minutes I'm done. I know I did very well on this biology one because I studied every night.

I take out my phone and turn on some music. Right as the riff of the song comes on, my headphones stop working. I look down and the Chase, who was sitting behind me, took our scissors and cut them. "Ass." I turn around and stare at the clock. When the hour is finally up, the bell rings and I can't get out of there fast enough. I run to m locker and put on my scarf, beanie, and my coat on before leaving this asylum. I grab a couple of folders and run into a girl.

"Crap, I am so sorry, love." When I look up from my papers that are scattered throughout this hallway, I see a nice looking girl. She has blue eyes with light brown hair. Her hair perfectly cups her face and when she moves it behind her ear, she leans down to help me? No one has ever done that.

"Sorry, it was my fault. I was in a hurry. Is your accent British?" What an odd question. She hands me a few papers as I respond, "Yes, I moved from England this summer. My name is Harold." I give her a warm smile, but I'm nervous to let her in. I don't know her at all and I can't be more stupid then to think she might want to know me. "I'm Elizabeth, but you can call me E. All my friends do it." Once all my papers are in order, I offer a hand for her and she kindly takes it. I smile, being sure to expose my dimples. "Well I'll see you around, E. Merry Christmas." I turn to walk away but I am stopped in my tracks when I see Chase, running towards me with a closed fist.