Chapter 2

Light (chapter 2)

"Get the hell away, loser!" His fist comes crashing to my face. I feel myself turn almost all the way around and hit the ground. I roll over and cup my cheek. The burn is probably the worst feeling. I stand back up and he kicks my side. "STOP CHASE! YOURE INSANE!" I hear E saying.

She jumps on him and pushes him into a locker. He looks bewildered and I can't help but laugh. When I stand up, my side hurts very bad. "Are you okay? I'm so sorry. He's psychotic." She gives him a glare and so do I. I look back at her and her blue eyes are now grey. "Yeah." Is all I can respond with. I turn around and grab my folders off the ground. I walk out of the school and when the cold winter air hits me, it takes off the stress. Before the door closes, I hear E yelling at Chase. I roll my eyes and brush this off. It's not the first time this has happened.

I really don't know what I'm going to do about my car. I lean against it and look at the pink sky. I try to find a logical reason of why I'm treated like this, but there is nothing. I hear E call my name. "Harold! Wait!" My eyes shoot to her voice direction. Her breath is evident in the cold air, "hey, I'm okay." I really have a hard time letting people in. "What happened to your tires?" She looks horrified, " Just jocks. Again.

I need to get to work, but I have no idea how I'll make it on time without a car." She looks at my with sympathetic eyes, "Let me drive you. My cars right over there," she points to a red Prius that would obviously be hers. My car is an old camery that had been my dad before the accident. "Really?" I am dumbfounded at her offer. She smiles and it warms my heart. She has this glow about her, that drives me crazy. "Of course! Chase is an ass. Don't let him get to you! Let me go tell Hannah she needs a ride. One second." I nod and begin to walk over to the Prius. On my way there I get lost in thought.

Of course she would have the perfect manicured nails, the coach backpack, the ugg boots, and the most expensive car of 2013. I bet she has a Visa too that her dad puts money on everyday after he comes home from his doctors office.

"Ready? Oh that's not my car!" She laughs and I cock my head. "What? I thought it was..." I feel really stupid. Whatever.. "Nah, I can't afford that! That's my car." She points to an impala that I assume he dad bought her. She unlocks it and it smells like girl. I love it though. "Your car smells nice." I laugh and buckle my seatbelt. "Thanks! I have theses new air fresheners. I think they actually work." She laughs and starts the engine.

I shiver and I'm pretty sure she sees, "Can you turn on Addison? My bakery is there." She turns on the heat, reading my mind. "You own?" She keeps her eyes focused on the road but glances at her mirrors while switching lanes. "Yes, we'll my father did. My mum works three jobs." Oh I shouldn't have said that. "Oh. Well I love bakeries. I used to work at one when I was 16." I smile, "yeah, these are the best people in the world. They are like my other family." When we pull up, she turns up the radio. "This is my favorite song! Hang on." She begins singing and I can't help but laugh. She looks so perfect laughing and singing. She's doing this cute thing with her fingers on the steering wheel. I bite my lip, trying not to laugh. I don't want to seem rude.

When the song is over, she turns off the car and takes a deep breath. "Can I ask you something?" I decide to ask her, "Why are you so nice to me? I'm a loser, remember?" Her expression hardens and she looks out her window. "I know how it feels. Trust me. Ready to go in? I want a grand tour." She seems interested in me, and I in her. She seems nice enough to have a bond of friendship with. "Yep!" I try to sound excited but I am all too nervous. I've never shown anyone the bakery. When I walk in, I hold the door for E. I am instantly greeted by five woman. "That's Lisa, Helen, Josie, Mary, and my mum, Anne." She smiles and I can tell she is fond of my mum already. "Hi mum!" My mum smiles and I run and hug her. "What happened to your face?" She looks concerned. She pushed back my slicked back hair, "Just people. I'm fine! I'm going to go change." E looks at me and I can literally read her mind, "Make her comfortable!" I rush to the back and wet my hair. The gel instantly lets up and my curls come out. I push them back, so they are out of my face. I change into black skinny jeans with rips by the knees. I also throw on a white t-shirt exposing some of my tattoos. No one outside of school have seen me like this.

"And then this is Harry at age 5. Look at his bum!" I hear my mum practically yelling. "MUM!" E looks up at me and he mouth practically falls open. I tie on my apron and look at her again, "What, love?" I like this attention, "sorry, you look great." She looks like she's seen a ghost. I hand her an apron, she looks nervous. "Don't be nervous. This will be fun, want to make cupcakes?" I smile and when our eyes meet my body is practically on fire. She smiles and toes her hair up in a messy bun with some little hairs falling out.