Chapter 13

"No means no Adam. Can't you understand such a simple thing?" I yelled while stuffing my mouth with the chicken that Natalie had made.

"But Addie, you know you are talented. Just give it a try." He pleaded and made a cute puppy face.

I sighed in frustration. Adam can be so annoying at times. "I can't and I won't. You know I hate singing in front of a large audience," I reply in an exasperated voice. Before Adam could open his mouth to persuade me further, Alex intervened in the conversation.

"Adam said it's going to be a blind audition, Adaline. You will be asked to sing inside a room from where no one can see you, even the judges won't know who you are." Alex sounded irritated by now as they were trying to convince me for the past one hour.

"Give it a shot honey and if you don't get selected then who cares, no one's ever going to know you participated." Mom jumped in, which made both the boys nod their heads.

I was annoyed. Why does everyone want me to participate in this? Don't they know I'm scared to sing in front of a crowd?

"But I don't want to do this mom," I stated.

This time it was Natalie who spoke. "Just try it once Adaline. You got nothing to lose anyway."

I feel annoyed realizing that everyone is forcing me to do something which they know I hate a lot. I never even sang in front of them. It was just this one time when I was alone in my room singing, that Adam recorded the whole thing without my knowledge, and in the next family dinner, he revealed it to everyone. Since then everyone forces me to show off my talent and participate in the school choir but I never really approved of that idea.

"Adaline just once, please. It's a blind audition for God's sake." Adam requested and I couldn't deny him this time. "Okay. Okay. Just this one time Adam", I said which instantly brought a smile on everyone's face.

***

"Baby pink or deep pink which one should I put?" Racheal asked me while we were standing near her locker waiting for her to apply her lipstick.

"Who cares Rae? Both look the same to me anyway," I said in a monotonous tone.

Racheal rolled her eyes in annoyance and started explaining to me the difference between the two. "See Adaline there's a lot of difference. This one is like a lighter shad-"

"Baby pink. That will look better on you," Felicia responded while joining us near the locker, she had a stack of books in her hand.

"No one asked for your suggestion," Racheal said coldly.

"Rae don't be so mean to Fel, she's just trying to help," I said.

I don't understand why Racheal acts so mean to Felicia all the time.

"It's okay Adaline. I was just passing by and heard your conversation so thought of giving some suggestions." Felicia said in a low voice. She seemed hurt by Racheal's words. Her eyes had a hint of sadness but she covered it with a smile.

"What's with so many books? Are you not going to attend the lectures?" I asked to change the topic because clearly, it was getting super awkward with Racheal being blatantly mean to Felicia for no reason.

"I'm planning to skip some lectures, need to prepare for my project," she replied showing all the books she was carrying in her hand. I glanced at the cover of the first book and enquired, "Greek mythology? That's your topic?"

"Yes. It's kinda cool. You will know when you read it."

I smiled hearing her words. Fel was never a big reader but seeing her working so hard for her project made me content. "We are getting late. Let's go," Racheal said which made both of us turn our head in her direction. What's wrong with this girl today? Is she gone crazy?