Jake

"Gatta stay high all the time to keep you out my mind"

The tune by tove lo played as I pulled shorts up my legs. It was 9:32am and I just stepped out the shower not to long ago. I usually don't wake up this early but I needed to see David to ask him if I could have another guest, Jake. According to Joey it wouldn't be a problem having him which was why I wasn't so nervous to ask him, but the man did creep me out in a way. I rubbed lotion on my face before pulling my hair into a very mess bun, I put knee socks on before leaving my room. I had my phone shoved into my pocket so that way I was able to text Jake right away when I got my answer.

I called him last night, what was supposed to be a short 10min conversation turned into an all nighter filled with laughter and catching up, I guess I missed him more then I was letting on.  I told him how David invited  my father and grandmother for my benefit but he already knew because Dad told him. He told me not to bother asking David if he could tag along, he didn't want me to ask him because he knew I secretly hated David for being the reason my mother left my father and that he made me uncomfortable. Of course I wasn't going to listen. I'll put my feelings for my mother's boy toy aside and suck it up to get what I wanted the most.

When I reached his office door I took in a deep breath and brought my fist up to knock, gently.

"Come in" I heard the familiar deep voice on the other side of the door instruct. I turned the nob and stepped in closing the door behind me. I've never been in David's office before until now and must I say, it was a sight to see. The view alone was enough to make you fall in love with the room.

"Emma?" I turned to Mr. Bax who look very surprised to see me.

"Hi" I said in reply.

"I'll call you back Marcus" I watched as David pulled the cellphone away from his ear and end the call. I mustered up the fakest smile.

"Good morning" I stood put by the door.

"Good morning beautiful, what a surprise" he hummed staring at me intensely, the grin never left his face.

"Please, come" he motioned for me to toward him and I did. I was caught by surprise when he pulled my body into his large one to embrace me into a hug.

I shivered when I heard him deeply inhaling my hair. Finally he let me go.

"Not that I'm complaining, but what brings you here this fine morning?" his eye twinkled while waiting my answer. I took a step back creating more distance between us.

"I w-wanted to ask....um I-I mean, I wanted to know if I c-could possibly have another guest... Please" I mentally slapped myself for my consistent stuttering. Why couldn't I just be confident for one moment, just so I wouldn't come across as weak.

"I don't see why that would be an issue, who would you like to bring?" he chuckled at my nervousness.

"My best friend, Jake" almost instantly his face twist into a frown at the mention of his name.

"Your best friend is a boy?" I could sense that his mood shift making the large room feel a lot smaller.

"Yes s-sir, I mean David..."

"Hmmmmm.....I see" he hummed while rubbing his chin as if he were thinking.

"How long have you two been attached?" he asked.