CHIM - STICKY SWEET Chapter 4

Chapter Four.

Kimberley.  Christmas Eve.

I’m not going to lie Christmas has long been quite a lonely time of year for me.  Of course there’s always the annual present-laden bike ride to Steve’s house where he and I attempt to play nice for our daughter’s sake.  Then it’s back to my big, empty apartment for an evening in front of the telly with a tin of chocolates and a glass or four of wine.  In the past, if I was attached, I’d always avoided any issues over my disappearance by claiming that I was going to spend the day with my family.  Sadly it says something about my relationship choices that none of my previous partners ever cared enough to question why the hell I’d want to do that when I clearly despised my parents.

At least Cheryl cares and she actually wants to spend time with me.

I smile to myself, my heart doing a little somersault of joy as I open the fridge door stacking the shelves with various party snacks from my supermarket trip. 

Last week, after much inner debate, I’d finally bitten the bullet and asked Cheryl if she’d like to come to my place for Christmas nibbles.  It was short notice so I wasn’t expecting much but she’d said yes straightaway, turns out her Christmases were as dire as mine, then again what was I expecting from an orphaned only child.  Apparently an invite from Walter and his mother meant she already had plans for the daytime, as did I, but at least we’d have all evening together.

Hopefully Cheryl can help me relax after an entire afternoon in the company of smug Steve and the fawning Marcie!

Even the thought of the woman makes my hand tighten around the pack of cocktail sausages I’m holding.

“Bloody twerp” I growl, attempting to fit the snacks into the fridge as the buzzer for the front door goes.

“Oh my God!”

I burst out laughing as I open the door to the cutest elf I’ve ever seen.  Cheryl’s dressed top to bottom in green and red from her cloth hat to her pointy, bell-toed shoes. 

“Good afternoon madam”

She does a theatrical bow as I cover my mouth with my hand, still grinning.

“Why are you dressed like that?!”

“Oh babe” she grins back, “didn’t I tell you? I always dress like this over the festive period”

“Bullsh!t” I reply, waving her in through the door, “well…”

She laughs,

“Ah you got us.  I’m doing a charity race, running in aid of me local women’s shelter”

I‘m taken aback.

“You never said”

“To be honest it was all a bit last minute pet, Sarah’s persuaded a few photographers to show up, part of her big plan to promote us some more and you know me I never pass up a chance to help worthy causes whilst I’m at it”

I shake my head,

“You’re too good, unlike that woman, it‘s Christmas Eve for fcuk‘s sake!”

Cheryl shrugs in her usual nonchalant manner,

“Tornado Training’s closed for the holidays now so I’ve not got anything better to do”

“Ok” I concede, regretting not asking her over for Christmas Eve as well as the big day itself, “at least let me sponsor you though”

The smile returns to her face,