Tip 6 - Winging It

When you're starting a role play, there are a two ways to go about the plot:  plan ahead for what you and your partner want to have happen or the general direction you two want to go; or you can just pick a genre and wing it.

These are tips for the second option.

Many times role players don't feel like coming up with a plot, so they will just start with the basis of whatever fandom or genre they've chosen. For example, perhaps you're role playing sci-fi. Then, you might just start off setting the scene of some robotic civilization and take things from there.

And that is where the tips begin. Set the scene. It's much easier for both parties to come up with new actions and plot developments when they know the boundaries of the world they're role playing in.

Are hover boards a thing people have regularly or could there be a grand unveiling in the town center? Are there any parks in the city or would you have to sneak out of the city to see grass and trees? Is there a curfew or do you have sneak around at night? Can people have tattoos or is it an act of rebellion and something you would need to hide from authorities?

Knowing basic things or details about the universe you are in helps you to think of new things to do or have happen.

Which brings us to the next thing, which is to create action. A role play is much more fun and fast moving when the characters have something to do. So, create action as soon as you can- even if you guys wanted a calm role play.

Are you sneaking around after that curfew we were talking about? Maybe you just got some hover boards, and you're trying to learn to use them. Perhaps you're playing hide and go seek or the floor is lava in the park.

Minor or major, action makes the role play more interesting. Even if you're sitting in a café, drinking tea and talking, it's better than siting idle, waiting for someone to take initiative.

Perhaps along the way, you decide you want a central plot to your role play. Think back to any inconsistencies in the role play and see how that could contribute to a central plot.

What about that shadowy figure you mentioned seeing in the alley, but never thought about since? Maybe that oddly brittle tree branch that gave way while you were standing on it is part of a bigger conspiracy. The sudden release of hover boards to the town could be covering up some other event that would otherwise have been the focal point of all citizens.

Now, as always, make sure you communicate with your role play partner. Let them know what you're thinking. They will most likely be fine with whatever you come up with, especially if the role play is in a rut, but it's always nice to let them know for two reasons.

1. To make sure they didn't already have a plan brewing. Maybe you guys could combine your ideas.

2. So that they can go along with what you're thinking. They could include their own details to add to the conspiracy of the central plot. (i.e. They could mention seeing something shiny up in the trees- a camera? They could hear a noise coming from an empty alley. Or maybe they notice a tracking device inside their hover board.)

The final piece of advice I have for winging a role play is to not be afraid of a few short replies or dull moments.

Sometimes you have to give a two line response because you were asked a direct question or your options are limited. Sometimes there is no action in the role play, and that's okay. Just try your best to get back into long (or longish) replies and interesting plot.

As long as you are both working to get to an interesting place in the role play, things will be fine.

As always, keep the other tips in mind while using these. Until next time...

Comment anything you would like to see tips on.