Tip 7 - Consistency in Format

Have you ever been role playing with someone who switches in and out of literate, or can't stick with one point of view, or maybe their replies come in past and present tense?

If this has happened to you, you understand the frustration and confusion of the situation.

When someone switches between points of view (first, second, third), it becomes unclear who is speaking.

Incorrect formatting:
I watched as he ran across the street. Samantha loved him, even the way he ran. She especially loved that he was running to her side of the street. She turned to you after you crossed. "Almost missed the light, huh?"

Okay, can you understand how this is confusing? Is the "I" from the first sentence Samantha? Are you the boy who was running across the street? It's very confusing, better to stick with either first, third, or second person.

Correct formatting:
I watched as you ran across the street. I loved you, even the way you ran. I especially loved that you were running to my side of the street. I turned to you after you crossed. "Almost missed the light, huh?"

-or-

She watched as he ran across the street. She loved him, even the way he ran. She especially loved that he was running to her side of the street. She turned to him after he crossed. "Almost missed the light, huh?"

You could also use third and second person She watch as you ran across the street. . . but you get the idea.

The next most confusing is when someone switches between tenses (past, present).

Incorrect formatting:
He grins, scratching the back of his neck. "Yeah, but the cars would have stopped." She smiles back. He loved the way she smiled, the sun glittering off her teeth, the crinkles in her eyes. He sighs. Cars whizz by on the road behind them.

This seems to imply that he used to love her smile, but doesn't now. This should either be all present or all past tense

Correct formatting:
He grins, scratching the back of his neck. "Yeah, but the cars would have stopped." She smiles back. He loves the way she smiles, the sun glittering off her teeth, the crinkles in her eyes. He sighs. Cars whizz by on the road behind them.

-or-

He grinned, scratching the back of his neck. "Yeah, but the cars would have stopped." She smiled back. He loved the way she smiled, the sun glittering off her teeth, the crinkles in her eyes. He sighed. Cars whizzed by on the road behind them.

These were probably pretty obvious fixes, but that's what they should look like, depending on the tense you and your role play partner have been using.

The final switch I can think of is between literate and not, or style. This tends to occur between multiple replies, not all in the same message.

Incorrect formatting:
Person 1: She hooked her arm in his, and they began walking down the sidewalk. "How do you feel about burgers for lunch?"
Person 2: That sounds great *smiles at her and keeps walking*
Person 1: "Great! My treat," she offered. She almost never got to treat him to anything.
Person 2: *purses lips* I don't know... *notices the look on her face and smiles* okay

So, this isn't so much one person switching, but two role players using different styles. There isn't anything essentially wrong with this if both parties are fine with the difference, but it's always better if you can agree on one type.

I'm not going to give the correct format because it would just be changing either Person 1 or Person 2's style of reply, and you already know what that would look like.

So, the tip is basically to stay consistent with how you reply. Stay with one tense, one point of view, and, preferably, one style. I'm pretty sure most of you knew this, but it's always good to get it out there again for those who hadn't thought about it.

Until next time...

Comment what you would like to see tips on next!