Chapter 9

Trevor's eyes scanned the forest under them. It was the first time they had ever actually flown outside of the academy grounds. Before they reached the outskirts of Drake, the dragons landed. The griffins followed them down and landed gracefully. Trevor noticed his siblings finally relaxed. First time flying on griffins, something they should've learned before actually going into it. Anna turned to them.

"You all have done well these past few days, I'm impressed. This is the final test before I'll consider you four allies of mine on my team," she started. Looking between the four siblings. "You are to follow every order I give you, either verbally or telepathically. You will be cautious and watch each other's backs. Hellhounds are dangerous creatures, but cannot take on four dragons at once. You have managed to turn dragon and you understand how to move your bodies. Use that to your advantage if the griffins can't protect you." Trevor nodded, as did his siblings. "Good, now, first order of business is to head to the residential area of Drake. Stay on the ground and keep your eyes peeled for anyone who is hurt. Also keep an eye out for anything that looks like lime green goop or slime. It's hellhound slobber and is a great way to track the beasts. Move out!" Anna and the boys took to the air. The siblings watched them fly over Drake before Trevor looked over at them.

"What do you think guys? Ready to do this?" Trevor asked.

"Yeah! We're ready!" Aya exclaimed. Brenda nodded and Trevor smiled.

"Let's go then. The residential area is in the southern part of Drake, I think." Trevor led his siblings through Drake to where the residents lived. Treading carefully along the streets, Trevor looked around at his surroundings. Despite the simple setting, there was an uneasy feeling to the air. The griffins could feel it too, they snorted anxiously and looked around as well.

"This doesn't feel right..." David mumbled.

"You said it, David. It's like the air is...sour..." Aya remarked. Something barked nearby and Trevor held a hand up to stop his siblings. They stood silent for a moment before something metal clanged nearby. Trevor dismounted silently and stalked over to where the sound had come from in an alley. He put his back to the wall and peeked around the corner carefully.

There with its head in a trashcan was a sickly yellowish-brown creature. It was on four legs and a lion-like tail. The creature pulled its head from the can and gnawed on a bone. It had a gaping mouth and glowing green eyes. Trevor knew it was a hellhound by the color of its slobber as it chewed the bone. Glowing green like its eyes.

Found it! Trevor thought. He hid behind the wall and put a finger to his lips, telling his siblings to keep quiet. Anna, what do we do about it?

What's it doing? Anna's voice rang in his head.

Eating scraps from a trash can.

Keep it where it is, we'll be there shortly, don't let it bite you.

Trevor nodded and peeked around the corner again, only to find the hellhound was in a stance and growling at Trevor.

"Uh oh..." Trevor mumbled. The hound shot forward as Trevor ran for Stephanie. Trevor dove behind the blue griffiness as she reared up and flapped her wings at the hound, squawking at the beast. The hellhound snarled at Stephanie before it threw its head back and howled. "Crap! It's got friends!"

"It's a dog, they always have friends!" Brenda shouted. The hound's howl was cut off by Stephanie's talons smacking it right in the face. The hound lashed out at her, its jaws close around her leg.

"Stephanie!" Trevor exclaimed as the griffin screeched. Trevor's body glowed and he turned to his dragon form. Jumping on the hound, his claws were shoved in the beast's mouth as he attempted to pry its mouth open. "Let her go you asshole!" Stephanie pulled her leg from the hound's mouth and Trevor pinned it to the ground, his weight on its head. The rest of his body rendered the hound unable to move much as it growled and snorted under him.