chapter ten.

Recap:

"IT HURTS AND IT SUCKS. There is literally big gaping hole in my heart and nothing can heal it. Your anger and your pain doesn't match up to mine ANY WAY whatsoever. For months, I've craved something that I know I'll never get. Harry, you're the one that doesn't understand."

His grip on his notebook tightened.

"What are you talking about, Mel?" He finally asked me.

"Harry," I breathed out. I couldn't hold it in anymore. "You're that person. YOU CAUSE ME MY PAIN, and you don't even know it."

"What?" He couldn't understand, he didn't comprehend what I was saying.

"I love you, Harry." I whispered.

"Mel, speak louder, I can't fucking hear you."

"I SAID THAT I FUCKING LOVE YOU, GODDAMN."

His mouth fell open.

* * *

"I..uh, I, what." Harry said.

I gulped the saliva that was building in my throat. My heart was beating at an extremely fast rate and I could feel sweat dripping from behind my neck. Slowly, I wiped the tear that came close to crashing down on my shirt.

He looked at me and didn't say anything. The notebook he was holding fell to the floor and I just stood there gazing into his green eyes.

I couldn't tell what he was thinking. I didn't know if he was shocked, disgusted, or just confused. What had I done?

I sent my whole world crashing because I couldn't contain my own fucking emotions. I always do this. I always find a way to mess things up. I could feel the heat rising up to my face and water gathering behind my eyes. I couldn't take this.

My worst nightmare was coming true.

A shaky, uneven breath came out as I slowly walked past Harry. I stepped over the notebook and walked to the balcony door. As I reached my hand up to slide the door open, I didn't realize how much it was trembling. The sweat was coming faster and my head was burning. This stress was obviously taking a toll on me.

I tried to breathe but my head was spinning and there was a big pressure on my chest. It felt like someone literally was stomping on my heart.

I raised my hand to my neck and I felt a large bump. It was my vein. They were throbbing and getting bigger and bigger by the minute.

I turned around to Harry and I found him closer than expected.

"Melanie," He reached out to me as I leaned forward. I could barely understand what he was saying because the blood was pumping through my ears.

"Melanie, listen to me." I swayed to the side and I felt my eyes droop a little.

"Melanie!" Harry yelled, a little to loud for my liking.

"Mel, are you okay? Look, just listen to me." I looked down and realized my fingers were turning a blue-ish color.

"Harry, I'm so sorry," Short breaths came out, "I don't feel so -."

"MELANIE. I THINK - I THINK I LOVE YOU TOO."

That was the last thing I heard before the dark consumed me and I fell into unconsciousness.

* * *

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Can someone turn off that fucking noise? God." I turned to my side and tried to bury myself in my pillow and blankets, but something wasn't right.

The pillow wasn't as fluffy and the blanket was thinner than my undershirt. It didn't smell like my room and my right arm felt sore.

"Oh my god." Someone shrieked. "She's awake, where is the doctor?"

I opened my eyes a little to let in the light. This definitely was not my room and I definitely was not in my bed.

Opening my eyes all the way, I jumped up in the cold hospital bed. Why was I here? What the fuck happened last night? I looked around the room but no one was there.

I slouched back down and tried my best to remember what happened last night. Rubbing my forehead, I shut my eyes and thought for a bit. I think I love you too.

The words repeated over and over again in my head, like a turntable. I couldn't remember who said it, but it made me smile a little.

"Hello, Ms. Harte. I'm Dr. Grey." I looked up and saw an old man in a white coat, my father, and Harry.

"Good morning." I smiled, "Uhm, can you please tell me why I'm here?"

"Uhm yes," the doctor sat on the edge of the bed and looked me hard in the eyes.

"Okay, don't make it so serious," I laughed. I probably shouldn't be laughing in such a tense time.

"You were brought here last night because you fainted. Ms. Harte, were you aware that you had a heart murmur?"

"Uh, no. Well, yes. When I was little, they diagnosed me, but it was never a big deal."

"Well last night, your neck veins were throbbing, you were dizzy, I presume, and your fingers were blue. These are all symptoms of your heart murmur, but don't worry. Your scans show that you have a small minor hole in your heart. We just want to keep you overnight, but overall, you are fine. We'll just give you some medication and you will be good to go. Just remember, don't stress too much and if you start to have any problems, call us up."

I nodded and smiled and the doctor left. My father was the first to talk to me.

"Melanie, don't ever scare me like that." I laughed and said,

"I'm sorry, can you recap what happened last night?"

"I think after the dance, you went over to Harry's and talked for a bit. Soon, he was carrying you out the door with Mrs. Styles."

I wrinkled my eyebrows and peeked over my dad's shoulder. Harry was nervously biting at his knuckles; it was a habit that I've grown to love about him.

"Oh, oh. We'll I'm fine now." I smiled.

"Okay, honey. I'm going to go home for a bit to check on the house and everything. Harry will be here." He kissed me on the forehead before leaving.

I looked over to Harry who was still shaking his leg and biting his knuckles.

"Hey, Styles. Come over here." His eyes shot up and he looked surprised for a second. He stood up and walked over to the bed and sat at my feet.

"Hey." His voice was a whisper.

"Are you okay? It looks like you saw a ghost." He nodded slowly. His eyes never met mine and I felt uncomfortable.

"Do you remember what you said last night?" He said. I rubbed my chin and thought for a second.

"I'm not completely sure what happened, but I remember someone saying, I think I love you too. Maybe that was me?" I shrugged. It was probably just my head playing games and making things up, I merely brushed the thought off my shoulder.

All of a sudden, Harry tensed up and he stood up abruptly.

"Are you sure you are okay, Harry?" I shook my head and laughed.

"Look, Melanie, listen." He came closer and sat near my arm.

"Uhm, well last night, you came over and I was telling you about Felicity." He coughed to clear his throat,

"And uhm, I told you that she was, uh, she was kissing Haydn."

My breath hitched and I clutched onto the thin blanket. I had remembered what happened last night. I remembered everything he said. And everything I said!

"Harry, I need to tell you something." He put his hand up to stop me.

"No, listen. I was wrong. I didn't see what was right in front of me and I was dumb. Melanie, you have been my best friend for forever and I've just realized that I love you too."

I started to hyperventilate again. All the same symptoms were coming at me but at full speed. I tried to breathe but I couldn't! The machines were beeping like crazy.

"Harry."

"No, Melanie. Do you hear me? I love you!"

"HARRY!" I yelled with all the strength in me,

"I knew, Harry. I KNEW FELICITY WAS CHEATING ON YOU."

"What?" Harry stood up and backed away.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't want to hurt your feelings, you were so in love."

"YOU LIED TO ME?" I shouldn't have told him. He will probably never trust me again. I'm so stupid. He was so fragile and sensitive.

"WAS THIS PART OF YOUR LITTLE GAME, MELANIE?" I was sweating.

"No, just listen to me right now!"

"NO!" He yelled at me. I could see the tears falling from the corner of his eyes.