Scene 5

A few days later, I came home from work late in the evening to find Nick and Finn watching a movie and sitting-up-cuddling on the couch. They both looked up at me when I came in, and I was possessed of the sudden urgent need to act casual.

"Don't mind me," I squeaked, and went to the kitchen.

I opened the fridge and, finding nothing of interest that belonged to me, grabbed some granola bars from the cupboard and walked back over to the living room.

I hadn't paid attention to what the movie was when I came in. "Fiddler on the Roof?"

"Nick has never seen it."

"What kind of BYU Mormon has never seen Fiddler on the Roof?"

"A recent one," Nick said wryly.

"Oh, sorry; I didn't mean anything by it." So much for acting casual.

"It's okay. I'm flattered you think I blend in so well."

"How long have you been a member?" I asked.

"About three years. I came to BYU about a year after I got baptized.

"How about you, Finn?"

"I'm a child of the covenant," Finn said, suddenly going somber.

* * *

I actually ended up watching the movie with them for a while before I turned in for the night, but I admit I was a little weirded out by the conversation we had had. Nick had been a member of the church for three years and clearly had his own way of doing things―or did the missionaries not talk about that? "Oops, we sort of forgot that part." Huh?

And what about Finn? He had been a member of the Church his whole life, and didn't seem happy about it. How did he really feel about everything?

It was another night with a lot of things to think about.