5.

I wake up the next morning thinking about last night. I really had a good time with Tyler, even if we didn't converse a lot. Just sitting there, and just thinking felt good. I would do it all over again if I could.

I stretch out my tired muscles and hop out of my bed. I know my mom is awake by the shuffling I hear coming from downstairs. I pull on sweatshirt and walk to the antique kitchen. My mom and I still aren't really on speaking terms, and I think it's about time the silent treatment I've been giving her comes to an end.

As I make my way down the creaky staircase, I realize that I would have never been doing this if it wasn't for last night. All that thinking made me realize that I need to understand where my mom is coming from. I need to understand that neither one of my parents can stay single forever. I've also realized that I think that I've held out on my mom too long. I somewhat miss her. I never thought I would admit that, but I do. She is my mom after all.

"Mom?," I say, stepping into the kitchen, "can we talk?"

"Sure, but before can I just apologize." she tells me.

"No, I should be the one apologizing. I should've known that you won't stay single forever." I admit.

"That's true, but I still should have never done that in front of you. It was downright disrespectful and inappropriate." she says, stepping closer to me. "I missed you."

"I missed you too." I say, stepping into my mother's arm.

She hugs me tightly, savoring the moment. I wouldn't have thought in a million years that I would've been in my mother's embrace any time this summer. I thought that I would always be standoff-ish. At least that was my plan. I don't really know why I came hear with such a negative attitude, and that makes me want to change my approach towards things. Towards this whole summer thing.  Maybe I should act a little more optimistic about this whole summer thing. Give this new environment a break. It won't be easy, considering that I was pretty set in stone about hating this place, but I can try. It won't hurt anyone.

I step out of my mother's embrace, smiling at her. She shares the same facial expression as me, a broad smile. In moments like this I take in my mom's natural beauty. She barely wears makeup anymore, which is weird because in the city my mom spent hours trying to perfect her makeup. So many things about her have changed, I just wish I was here to see that change.

 "I think I'm going to go for a walk." I say out of nowhere.

"Okay, well when you get back, I might not be here. I have some errands to take care of." she tells me.

"Alright, I'll see you later." I say, walking to the front door and sliding on some flip flops near the door.

When I get outside, the air is thick and moist, in other words it's insanely humid. I can literally feel my hair frizzing up. I try to pat it down, but it's a hopeless cause. I fall into a steady walk, making my way past the barn and small pond. I look over my mom's vast land. It's beautiful out here, but I know that this will never be a home for me. The city is where I will always belong, no one or nothing can deny that.

I make my over the horse stables. For the past few days, I've been admiring my mom's horses secretly. My mom has a total of three horses, a chestnut one, a white one speckled with black spots, and a sleek black one. I have to say that the black one is my favorite. I guess because of it's shiny coat and beautiful stature makes it seem somewhat magical. I can't forget how strong and certain it looks at times, things I want to be sometime in my life.

After staring and feeding the horses, I head back to the house. It's a long walk, but I enjoy the alone time. Never really got a lot of it back home. After 15 minutes, I stand in front of the wooden oak front door of my mom's house. I step inside, most of the lights are off, letting me know that my mom has probably left already.