6. What The Hell

Monday comes around, and the excitement I had for this "surprise" has died down. All day Sunday, I replayed the conversation I had on the phone with Tyler. He really acted as if he had no idea, and I kind of believed he didn't. I guess just the way he said it, it sounded like he was oblivious to the whole thing. But then maybe, I was overreacting, something I'm very good at. I may be overreacting, but I also may be assuming correctly, I guess I'll just have to ask him face to face.

So when his truck pulls in front of my mom's house, I'm already sitting on the porch.

"Someone's happy to see me." he greets me.

"Yeah, can't wait to stare into those beautiful eyes." I joke, hopping into his truck.

"Can I ask you something?" I ask him.

"Sure."

"Is my mom really throwing me a surprise or giving me something?" I ask.

"If I tell you it won't be a surprise." he grins at me.

"So it's a surprise."

"I have no idea."

"Fine. Then can you tell me this, why did you take that journal from my room?' I say, turning so now my whole body is facing him.

"What- what are you talking about." he stammers nervously.

"I know that you took it from my room, and I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with this so called surprise." I inform him.

"Ava, you sound ridiculous right now. I didn't take anything." he says, running a hand through his hair.

"Fine, don't say anything. But I can guarantee that I will find out the reasons why you took it and why you aren't saying anything." I say intensely.

"Oh look we're here." he says, jumping out the truck. He didn't even acknowledge what I just said.

I roll my eyes, and watch him as he walks into the barn. He's hiding something. So many thoughts and ideas course through my mind. Did he have some weird fetish for little girl's journals or does he just like to steal things from other people? I have to stop my imagination before it lets me think that Tyler is a horrible guy. Even though I barely know him, I know him enough to know that he isn't all bad.

-

-

Tyler and I finish the many odd jobs we have to do around the farm earlier than we both expected. It's only 3:30 in the afternoon when we're done, giving us a lot of time to do anything. So for a moment I think about just asking Tyler to take me back to the house to have some downtime, but instead I have another suggestion.

"Do you want to go get some lunch?" I ask.

"Not really. I have some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the truck." he replies.

"C'mon we can go to a diner or something." I suggest.

"Why would I waste my money on some food I can just make at home?" he says.

"Then why don't we go back to your place. You can cook me some diner food for lunch." I say, playfully nudging his stomach.

"No." he says quickly. "Why can't you just understand that I don't want to go anywhere with you right now? I'll take you home and you can eat at home. By yourself." he says rudely.

"Fine! You don't have to be such a jerk about it." I say, throwing my hands into the air. I start walking to the direction of he house.

"Where are you going?" he asks me with an exasperated sigh.