16. The Truth

I debate on whether I should close the door and completely ignore the drunken Luke standing before me, or help him and make sure he gets…less drunk. I just can’t get over the guilt that settles into my stomach when I remember what we did in his truck the last time he was drunk, but even though it’s hard to get over, I decide to help him.

                I throw one of his heavy arms across my shoulders, and push past my mother, who of course has a disapproving look on her face. One that I completely ignore, I really can’t deal with her right now. I drag Luke into the kitchen, while listening to his drunken words. I set him down in a chair and pull out a cup and some tea. I don’t really know how to deal with drunk people, but from what I’ve seen in the movies, all you need is some tea and aspirin.

                It doesn’t take long to steep the tea fortunately, but then I realize that I’m putting hot liquid into a drunken boy’s hands. I eventually realize that I’ll probably have to hold the tea for him, something I really didn’t want to do.

                I sit across from and hold out the cup, placing it again his lips. “I miss your lips.” He slurs.

                “Okay…” I answer, uncomfortably shifting in my chair.

                “I miss your touch too.” He whispers.

                “Your hair.”

                “You.” He says, standing up with a lopsided grin on his face. He sways over to me, and hold out a hand for me. I don’t know why, but I take it and let him pull me up.

                “I’m not going to kiss you.” I say firmly.

                “You want to.” He smiles, his breath reeking of alcohol.                

                “I’m with Tyler now, I can’t be with you and I don’t think it’s good that you’re even here.” I admit.                          

                “You don’t mean that.” He says, looking down at his feet.

                “But I do, I’m going to call Tyler and make sure you get home, okay?”

                “I don’t want to go.” He says, through gritted teeth, his eyes furrowed together in anger.

                “You don’t have a choice.” I tell him, turning around and grabbing my phone out of my back pocket. I can feel Luke’s body fall me, but I don’t say anything. Instead I focus on calling Tyler.

                I turn my body to see if Luke is still intact with himself, but I freeze when I see that one of his hands are in the air. Before I know it, his hands are swinging down, falling towards my cheeks. I brace for impact and close my eyes, but the slap never comes.

                I inch one eye open, to see a hand wrapped round Luke’s wrist, a hand that belonged to Tyler. When did he get here? That doesn’t matter, just the fact that he’s here the right moment makes me feel better.

                “Get out now.” Tyler demands, his voice leveled.

                “What are you going to do little farm boy? Go run home to mommy, oh wait she is dead.” Luke laughs a menacing laugh, making Tyler and I wince.          

                I glance over to Tyler and a look of pain flashes over his face, but it’s gone as soon as it came. I know that now isn’t a good time to run over to him and take him into my embrace, but there is no denying that I really want to.