20. Questions

Please check out my new story, Secrets. Just type in musiclover200 in the search box and it should come up. Thank you.

Tyler and I decide to postpone the getaway we had planned this weekend and take care of his sister instead. I was a little nervous about the making the commitment of staying with Katie for a long period of time, but I need to show Tyler that I’m not…Amber.

                Speaking of Amber, everything she said to me keeps running through my mind. I don’t understand where it came from or why she decided to tell me about Tyler’s hidden secrets, but it doesn’t stop me from questioning her words.

                If Tyler was hiding something, what exactly was it? I mean, it can’t be that bad. This is Tyler were talking about, he is the pure definition of a good guy. But then there is the fact that I don’t actually know him as well as I’d like to. We’d just started dating a couple weeks ago and before then we were just…acquaintances.

                I would love to turn and ask him what exactly what Amber was talking about, but there was no way I’d be able to do that now. Because sitting in between us was Katie. Her eyes were droopy and I’d doubt if she was even aware of her surrounding, but that’s enough to tell me that know isn’t the right time to question Tyler’s past.

                We reach Tyler’s house late into the night, the air still and the sky black and starry. The doors of his truck creak as we step out of it –Tyler holding his sister tightly in his arms.

                “Ty, where are we?” her quiet voice whispered.

                “We’re home.” He answers her, rubbing the back of her head.

                The gesture seems to make the young girl finally fall asleep. I smile at how calm she looks in his arms, and I suddenly feel the urge to have an older brother.

                “There’s a key under the welcome mat.” Tyler informs me, waiting patiently.

                I nod at his word, and retrieve the key from under the mat. I open the front door slowly, not really knowing what his house looks like empty and no beer bottles everywhere, which is what I saw the last time I came here.

                “Sorry, it’s not a mansion, but it’s all I got.” Tyler says, setting his sister down on a couch in the living room and covering her with a blanket.

                I take in the bare living room. White walls surround me and there isn’t much furniture. The house isn’t big, but it’s enough space for two people. “No, I didn’t expect a mansion.” I smile at him.

                “Good, I’m nothing compared to the big shots back in New York.” He smiles, but the smile doesn’t reach his eyes and that worries me.

                “I don’t want you to be like them anyway.” I tell him, walking towards him.

                “You know I’d never be able to give you what you need right?” he questions, not looking me in the eyes.

                “Hey, where is this coming from? You are perfect inside and out.” The words fall out of my mouth, but Amber’s words fill my head.

                “You don’t know me.” He argues.

                “Then let me.” I say, taking his hand in mine. I don’t know where this sudden change of attitude came from in Tyler, but he definitely need some reassuring. And I was going to be there for him, not matter what.