Chapter 11: Treat Him Differently

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Casper's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I burst through the door and wiped my eyes of any tears that had trailed down my bright red cheeks. The first thing I saw was Sierra standing there in shock at my conditions. Beside her stood Jerome. He had his arm around her, but it suddenly dropped to his side as he saw more tears stream down my cheeks. He spread his arms and I immediately ran to him. I clung to my brother tightly as I cried. He hugged me back tightly and tried his best to calm me down.
Eventually, we all found our way to the couch and sat down on it. I explained everything to the both of them the best I could. I was hiccuping and gasping for tiny bits of air. Sierra was hugging me and telling me it was going to be okay.
"And here I thought, I was actually... in love," I cried as Sierra lightly rubbed my back. Jerome stood up and walked into the kitchen. He soon returned with a cup of hot chocolate and vanilla ice cream. I smiled and laugh a little as he handed it to me.
Jerome spoke quietly, "It seems like you need some comfort food." I only nod and gratefully take the two items.
"Thank you," I managed to whisper. He smiled down at me. He sat back down on the left side of me and both him and Sierra tried their best to make me laugh and smile. I could easily tell by Jerome's expression that Mitch was going to probably be dead. I let out a sigh as I look down at my hands.

After about an hour, the door slowly creaked open. After what felt like forever, Mitch turned the corner. I glanced at Jerome and noticed a sudden fire burning in his eyes. Jerome slowly stood up and walked up to Mitch.
"What the hell is wrong with you?" Jerome screamed. His fist flew threw the air and made contact with Mitch's face. My eyes widen at Jerome's action.
Mitch whimpered as he held his nose, "I'm sorry."
"I'm you were sorry, you would've stopped a long time ago Mitchell!" Jerome shouted. He threw more punches at Mitch. My chest burned, seeing Jerome hurting his best friend. I don't know what overcame me, but I found myself standing up and running over to the two.
I stood in front of Mitch's feble form and shout, "Stop!" Jerome paused and glared at me as he tried to find a way around me.
"Why should I? I'm sick and tired of him hurting my little sister," Jerome hissed as he looked at me with anger.
"Just because he hit me, doesn't mean you should beat him to death! Besides, isn't this the exact behavior that got us all into this mess?" I tell Jerome. He stood there in thought for a moment before letting out a sigh.
He muttered, "Fine, I'll let him off this time. But I swear if he does this again, he won't live to see tomorrow."
Slowly, Jerome turned and walked up the stairs. After a few minutes, Sierra followed him. Probably to calm him down.
I turn around and look down at Mitch, who was cradling himself. Letting out a sigh, I leaned down and help him up. I lead him into the kitchen and set him down.
"You really are stupid," I tell him, pausing to get some supplies then continuing, "Thinking you could just walk back into this house without Jerome nearly killing you."
Mitch coughs and I turn to see blood dripping from his nose and mouth. I walk over and take a wet cloth. I wipe away the blood and try my best to clean up the mess Jerome caused.
"Why are you helping me? Don't you hate me?" Mitch whispered meekly. He winced as I touch the cloth to his busted lip.
I shake my head and continue cleaning him up as I respond, "Hate is a very strong word. I strongly dislike you at the moment. As for why I'm helping you. Well, I beleive that even though someone treats you like crap, you should treat them better. So, even though you hurt me, I'm still going to help you." I look into Mitch's eyes, or eye seeing as how one was nearly swollen shut. I saw a few tears slip down his cheeks.
Mitch cried, "You are too good of a person for a mess like me. You will make some guy really happy someday." Hearing him say that caused my heart to drop. No one has ever told me that, and I don't know why I'm feeling like this. I avert my eyes and wipe away his tears.
"Don't cry, it doesn't suit you," I tell him as I continue cleaning his wounds. My cheeks felt warm and were visibly red.
Mitch let's out a small chuckle and replies, "I could never thank you enough Casper. You truly are a great person, unlike myself." I shake my head and hit his leg, causing him to wince.
"Shut up, you may not be a great person right now, but that doesn't mean you can't be," I inform his as I pack up all the medical supplies and store them away. He slowly stands up and looks down at me, with a sad smile.
"I hope someday you can forgive me," he whispers to me. He slowly walks out and up the stairs. I rest my head against the wall and sigh.
I murmur, "I already did, it's just now, I have to treat you different."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~