Poor Little Raindrops

Gwaine woke early the next morning, to the smell of Merlin and morning dew.

Merlin was curled up against the long-haired knight, both were curled up tightly under the well sewn cape. Merlin was asleep, his nose was a light shade of pink from the early morning chill in the air, his head resting lightly on Gwaine's shoulder. Gwaine sighed, before looking around the meadow they'd spent the night in.

The butterflies were no longer there, but the roses were. Several dozen bundles of golden roses and other flowers all over the area, all of the petals tinted on the edge with a familiar, tell-tale blue. Gwaine smiled weakly, watching as the tree branches that had wrapped and woven themselves around the two began to visibly pull away, as if they were aware of Gwaine's renewed consciousness. The man smiled slightly, still amazed by the beauty of magic. Gwaine straightened slightly, before he pulled his cape off of his shoulders, and quickly tucked the extra fabric around Merlin, ensuring his warmth for a while longer while Gwaine stretched.

Gwaine stood quietly, stepping out from under the tree roots, taking in the almost breathtaking stillness of the early morn. He yawned, stretched, and his stomach growled none too subtly, quickly alerting him that he was indeed extremely hungry, and the only person with experience cooking better than decent meals was currently asleep and wrapped in a cloak, surrounded by golden flowers. Flowers he'd created of thin air. That still amazed Gwaine. The man smiled softly as he knelt back down, kneeling right in front of Merlin, almost blinded by the utter.. almost beauty of a sleeping Merlin. The tall, normally uncoordinated man was sleeping soundly, his legs folded in an almost graceful manner. His arms were folded over each other, hands tucked into his sides with an unconscious ease. His head was titled slightly, comfortably, his eyes were shut and fluttering occasionally, long lashes visible against morning flushed cheeks. His mouth open slightly as incredibly soft snores exited the raven haired boy with every breath. He was almost woman-like, but at the same time, he was so painfully Merlin. He was so breathtaking, and it made Gwaine's heart clench at how much he'd been through. He'd been through so much, so goddamned much, and he was still Merlin.

Giant ears that framed his face almost too perfectly, but still in a bizarre manner. His hair darker than the night sky, curling around the back of his ears, his eyes so blue they put the ponds, rivers, the oceans to shame. He was so young, and yet he managed to be years wiser than his age, foolish and clumsy but so, so brilliant. Gwaine leaned forward slightly, letting his fingers brush some hair from Merlin's face.

'Precious little raven, tall and strong, so powerful that he could bend the entire world to his whim, his mercy with a simple fucking snap of his fingers, but he'd give it all away for us," thought Gwaine as he pulled away from Merlin again, resting on his heels again.

'Oh Merlin.. What are we going to do with you?' He sighed, as he stood again, his knees popping audibly. As he gave that thought, Merlin stirred slightly. Merlin groggily opened his eyes, before slowly looked at Gwaine, yawning wide and openly, his face flushing more as he tried to force himself awake.

"Gwaine.?" His voice was quiet, hoarse from sleep. Gwaine smiled and held out his hand, pulling Merlin to his feet as he took it. He smiled softly as he spoke, his voice about the same.

"Hey Merlin, how did you sleep?" Merlin blinked a few more times, his eyes shining slightly, looking all the more blue.

"Alright, how early is it? How long have you been awake?" Gwaine smiled slightly, smiled at Merlin's blatant concern for him.

"Not long, maybe 10 minutes. Are you alright?" Merlin didn't reply immediately, seeming to take a moment to think before replying,

"Yeah.. yeah. I'm alright. I mean, I'm still afraid. I'll admit that I am a little afraid, I'm afraid that this is all some delusion I've created for myself. That in reality, I'm going to wake up, and be dragged out to be burned alive in front of all of Camelot. I'm going to open my eyes, and Arthur will be dropping his hand to let the torch fall, and there will be cheering in the streets, in the courtyard as I burn. And I'm sorry." Merlin ended with a quiet apology, and Gwaine immediately looked at Merlin, his head snapping up to look at Merlin, who was looking to the side, a look of understanding and acceptance in his eyes.