9. Beautiful and Lost

A/N

Sorry I'm late with the update but you have no idea the week I just had! Two huge exams that are like 50% of my grade, and then on top of that I got horribly sick and had to go to the doctors, and then I ran out of food and was too lazy to go to the stores... anyway - here it is, I hope you enjoy :) 

Thursday, one week later

Charlie

"So you..." - I knitted my eyebrows together and tried to remember how to string individual words into meaningful sentences through the fog in my brain - "Have a girlfriend?" I realised my sentence made sense, and took a deep breath of air. Trevor nodded shyly and grabbed the girl's hand. Why? Why would you have a girlfriend, what are you doing, I don't understand! "Oh, well... uh, congratulations?" I registered that my tone was wrong, but couldn't quite figure out why. I cleared my throat and tried to understand why it felt so tight.

"Thank you," the girl said and blushed. She kissed my friend awkwardly, and I averted my gaze, pressing my lips together.

"I'll see you later, sweetie," Trevor promised, before kissing her goodbye for longer than was strictly necessary. He followed me towards the room once he was finished. "What?" he asked, now sounding like the Trevor I knew.

"Oh, nothing," I said and looked away.

"Yes, something. Tell me, Charlie!" He whined. I kept silent. "Charlie Nichols, tell me what's the matter!"

"I'm just wondering how long it will take you to get bored of her," I muttered.

"I'm not going to get bored of her any time soon," he said with a glare.

"Sure, ok, whatever you say."

"I actually like her a lot!"

"She's stupid," I said childishly.

"Charlie! If you are going to be like this -"

"You asked what I was thinking and I told you. As you seem to regret de decision, I'll stop." Once we reached the room I started heating water in our new boiler. Trevor bought it some days ago, and I stole cups and spoons from the canteen, as well as buying the chocolate powder. Cold and biting winds was coming now that we got closer to November, and the boiler had been a brilliant investment.

"When did this thing start?" I asked as I sat down on my bed, careful not to spill any of my hot chocolate. I patted the spot in front of me and Trevor sat down. My eyes lingered on his face, like they had started doing all the time the last couple of days. His hair looked like dark chocolate in the yellow light of our lamp, just like the drink I was sipping. I had never liked hot chocolate before, but Trevor made me try it and I realised it wasn't so bad after all.

* * *

Trevor

"Well," I said and crossed my legs, "it started with her complimenting my performance in the football match. I asked who she was, and kind of met her eyes, you know, deep eye-contact and stuff." I grinned as I saw Charlie cringe uncomfortably.

"'It's Amanda Field, my little sister,' a guy from the football team said, all protective like. 'And you are going to treat her with respect!' It was all very cheesy. Anyway, she blushed. God she's pretty when she blushes.

'I'll be careful then,' I said to the guy's back, making her laugh. Matt asked if I wanted to play, still angry from our little fight.

'I'll skip this match,' I said and sat down with my back against the wall beside Amanda."