#68

Dear best friend who is no longer my best friend,
I'd never imagine writing this, I'd always had a hope that we'd stay best friends. That we'd be at each other's weddings and rekindle every year no matter the circumstances. I believed that you were my lifetime friend. But then he came along. He was cool at first, but then you got further away from me. He was the fight we always got into. The topic that always rocked our calm boat. Some days I wish he hadn't. I wish that he had just admired you from afar and kept his hurt to himself. But no, he gave it to you. No. He dropped it on you, he was on the skyscraper and you were on the ground. The impact ruined you. And I was there. No matter how bumpy things had been I was at your side. Repairing every piece of you because dammit that's what friends are for. That's what friends are meant to do. But before I could finish he returned, the pieces of you not all returned to where they were meant to be. You didn't care. You have yourself to him once again. And again. And again. And well I, I walked away. I can't make you see the potential. I can't make you want the greatness that I want for you. I can't make any of that real for you. I also can't make you love me the way I love you. You were my soulmate in a best friend. You were another piece of me. I know I dropped every and left but God did I wish that maybe you'd reconsider. Maybe you'd come running after me. Maybe I was enough. Just know, I don't hate you. I'm angry and I'm hurt but I don't hate you. I can't come to your rescue when he ruins you, I'm too busy repairing myself. You'll always be branded in my heart as my best friend but also my worst heartbreak.
Love always,
The friend you left for him.