Chapter Five

Hiya lovely fans! (: I am sincerly sorry for not updating this story sooner. I'll admit I had a little bit of trouble writing this chapter, and after editing it like a gazillion times it is finally ready! Plus, it's a long chapter so it makes up for the absence, right? :D

I honestly still think it's bad....but that's up to you to decide :P I hope you enjoy reading and I'm excited to see if anyone finds any subtle hints that I've integrated in this chapter. It's a filler, BUT it has a few small details to keep an eye out for :D

P.S. Thank you sooo much for voting for Escaping Death in the Watty's! It's because of you guys that it won, and maybe we can make it a double win for Immortal Ties to win this year! :) Hehe it's too early, but it'd be cool!!! :D 

Vote. Comment. Fan ♥

xxx addy

***************************************************************************************************************

Chapter Five

Gabriel

Being back in Fairfield wasn’t at all what I had imagined it to be.

The world had changed as had the town. Instead of it being lively and beautiful – it was a shadow if its former self as I walked down the familiar street to Gwen’s house. Some houses were shuttered –boarded up to keep everything and everyone out with the symbol of the cross neatly painted in red on the doors. Other houses looked normal like Gwen’s, without the slightest trace that something was amiss other than the fact that the atmosphere felt the same as every other house I passed. There was a certain sense of urgency and fear – emotions that plagued humans now that the demons walked among earth freely, wrecking havoc and destruction wherever they set foot.

I walked up the driveway, quickly running the intricately made story Calder and I fabricated in my head once more before I came face to face with one of Gwen’s relatives. I couldn’t ruin my time here by forgetting the cover story Calder and I spent hours constructing. There would be no words that could possibly be construed into uncovering the truth of who I am.

A sudden thought entered my mind and I quickly turned around, concentrating on a vacant spot down the street, and manifesting a truck out of thin air. I would say it was a rental from the airport, and add the small fact to my never ending list of pretenses.

 Taking a long dragged out shallow breath; I finally got my bearings straight and knocked on the door. I waited, tapping my foot on the old worn welcome mat beneath my feet.

A couple of seconds later the chains rattled, locks clicked, and bolts were unfastened from within. The door swung open and I met a woman in her early forties with light brown eyes that matched her bouncy shoulder length hair.

Her eyes widened in shock as she took in my appearance. She stifled a muffled gasp that escaped her lips as I heard her heart quicken inside her chest. It felt like time froze around me as we both were caught in a fragment of a moment. She was significantly shorter than I was, and looked older than she really was by the dark purple shadows underneath her eyes – indicating that she hadn’t been sleeping well. The regular dark blue t-shirt she wore engulfed her body, making her look small and withdrawn. But even as I grew an assessment over the woman in front of me, there was one thing that I would know anywhere. It wouldn’t matter how many years had gone by with time only being half of what a human’s lifetime would consist of; I would know those eyes whenever I came across them.

They were identical to Gwen’s.

“Are you Wendy?” I finally asked, breaking the still silence between us.