Chapter One

• Dedicated to Rachel Ruiz

Beautifully made graphic to the side was made by my good friend Anna.

The wait is finally over! This will be my New Year's gift to all of you! (: I hope you guys enjoy and like always I'd LOVE to thank every single one of you! You guys are the reason I keep on writing ♥ Tell me what ya think overall of the chapter :) 

Vote. Comment. Fan! (: 

© Immortal Ties by Adylenne Ascencio

Part One: Healing Scars

Chapter One

• Gabriel •

The sound of high pitch screams echoed along the dark cave walls, sending a sharp electric jolt down my spine. My steps quicken, synchronizing to the beat of my thundering heart within my chest as I made my way down the dank dreadful tunnel.

Suddenly, a cacophony of screams pierced my ears as one by one I saw the ghostly pallor of human souls appear before me. I halted closing my eyes and covering my ears until their wails of suffering died in their throats. When I opened my eyes I met the weathered and ashen faces of elderly women and men. Their expressions were screwed into grimaces of agony and grave forthcomings. Soulless eyes peered back, milky white retinas like freshly fallen snow on a gray day that only brought misfortunes. All of them wore ragged torn clothing with blood and dirt covering their skin.

What in heaven’s name had happened to these souls?

“She’s dying,” a man said in a grave voice. I searched the group of souls before me and found the one who had spoken easily. Everyone else’s head was bent down as if they were silently praying for their God to end their misery. Only one man’s eyes watched me curiously with a wicked grin on his face. “We shall be free. Our Master succeeded with what he sought.”

A cold shiver of fear snaked down my spine at his words. “No, she’s not your freedom!”

“You’re too late,” another spoke. My eyes flickered to an old woman whose head had been bowed only a few seconds ago. There was a wicked grin plastered on her face to match the man’s.

“Always too late,” a little boy said with a shrewd laugh. He hadn’t been among the group of souls when I’d first crossed them. “Always a failure. Always letting her die.”

In one sweeping motion they all snapped their heads up in unison saying in a deep, demonic depraved voice, “She is your greatest destruction.”

“While she,” a woman stepped forward until she stood before me. The smell of acrid sulfur rolled off of her in perpetual waves, engulfing my senses with the strong burning smell of rotten eggs. I stifled the bile that rose in my throat at her proximity and held my ground, staring into the bleakness of her eyes. It was in that moment that I realized that she had died in a terrible fire, breathing in the retched smoke.

She trailed a long ghostly finger down my face, her grin deepening into a mix of satisfaction. I shivered in disgust at her closeness. They were evil – all of them were; lost souls who’d been captured by the foul evil creature. As I cast my gaze over her shoulder I saw the anticipation and mischief glinting in their white dead eyes.

Her cracked lips parted as she spoke the words that chilled my bones to the marrow, “You’re precious human was always our salvation to be freed from this eternal damnation.”

Their maniacal laughter resonated throughout the tunnel, leaving her words ringing in my ears.

No, it’s not too late. I can save her. She can’t be gone. No. No. No. No. It’s not possible. She’s not gone.