Chapter Four

I've decided to change the actor who played Calder from William Mosley to Bradley James. I hope all of you like the change just like I do ♥ Hope everyone enjoys this chapter and as always please tell me what you think, good or bad :) 

Vote. Comment. Fan! <3

Chapter Four

• Gabriel •

Everyone who was part of the Italian Council gathered in the dining hall tonight to witness Avenir Fairmore’s ceremonial appointment. My father had chosen Fairmore a few weeks after Gilvonie had stepped down from his position. Gilvonie’s decision was considered a retirement even though he was nowhere near being old aged and inadequate to be unable to commence with his duties.

Gilvonie’s choice to step down lay in one reason alone – his family.

He had two boys, twins – who were only five years old and relied on only their mother’s protection. It wasn’t enough; not in the time of war where demons were relentless and sought the chance to destroy us, including future Keepers. My father had offered Gilvonie and his family to opportunity to live inside the castle’s safety, but he had refused. His boys were only toddlers, and would be exposed to a Keeper’s life way before they were meant to. It was something that Gilvonie wanted to keep from his sons until the time was right. Gilvonie went home to his family to ensure their safety, sacrificing his duty for their well being.

Lydia tugged on my sleeve to garner my attention from our father’s booming voice in the middle of the room. “Why is this so late? I’m tired.”

I knelt down and took her small hands in mine. Her green-blue eyes were weary and it was an effort for her to stand on her feet. She was restless and longed to be in bed. “Today marks the spring solstice,” I said softly. “It’s one of the days where are power is at its greatest – drawing energy from the sun. Also, at midnight our powers are at its fullest potential.”

Lydia nodded her head taking the information in with the slightest bit of confusion twined in her eyes. “Okay…but why couldn’t we do this earlier? I’ve read that other appointments were held earlier.”

“We’re taking precautions. Dad believes since there has been a drop in demonic activity that they are planning something. It’s no secret that Fairmore is getting appointed today. This day has been spoken about for months.”

“The demons would have heard it,” she said pensively. “They’re so called Master would have done something to stop it…?”

“Yes. It’s possible.”

“Hmm…that makes sense.” She yawned, covering her mouth with her hand.

I pushed myself up, while keeping Lydia’s hand in mine as she leaned into me for support. She was exhausted and no doubt wanted to be tucked into bed as soon as we could be dismissed. After the ceremony was over I was going to take Lydia back to her chamber since Mom was away visiting Jane in Bejing, helping my older sister prepare to leave for the States due to her pregnancy. Mom left two days before I was due to arrive and left a letter in my room sending her love and the promise that she’d return Sunday with news of Jane.

At the stroke of midnight Fairmore walked up the sacred Council steps as we all watched in heightened anticipation for Gilvonie’s seat to be finally be filled – having seven members in our council once more. Fairmore took his seat next to Elder Montgomery, receiving a friendly clasped on his shoulder from Montgomery – a sign that Fairmore had been accepted into their ranks. Everyone applauded at the display, and I saw Andy at the other side of the room with a wide smile gracing her lips.