Chapter Two-The Trouble With Teens

To say that Jinx was anything less than an amused was an understatement. She glared at her younger brother and then turned to Quill. Who was still staring at the two young girls, Rane was now holding Isabelle in her arms, the ever present glare still on her face.

"Peter?" Jinx asked, putting a hand on his shoulder. "I think it's best if you leave." She faced the other Guardians, "I think it's best if all of you left actually." They all nodded and headed for the door. But Quill wouldn't, no, couldn't move. He was frozen, still staring at the two girls, his daughters...

"Peter?" Gamora said softly, grabbing his hand. The action caught the attention of Rane, and somehow, her glare became even more prominent. "Let's go."

Peter nodded and turned slowly and walk to the door like a baby learning to walk. Jinx sighed and turned to look at the sisters, but only seeing Isabelle, Starfire had vanished.

"Tawny? Shawn?" Jinx said, not turning to look at them. "Take Isabelle, go watch something. Corrigan?" The Blue-Skinned Demon looked at her friend. "Find the Guardians and show them their rooms." Corrigan nodded and walked out the door after the Guardians. Tawny going and grabbing Isabelle's hand and walking out of the room with Shawn on her heels.

Jinx sighs and slowly walks towards the archway and down the hallway into what she knows to be Starfire's room. She knocks but doesn't get an answer. No surprise there...

"Starfire?" The leader called. "Can I come in?" She still didn't get an answer, so she just walked in. Oh well.

Rane was sitting on her bed, staring at the wall. She seemed like a statue, unmoving and blank. It's uncanny, Jinx thought. She reminds me so much of myself when I was younger. Jinx went and sat down beside the young girl, they didn't speak until Jinx broke the silence.

"What's your name again?" Jinx asked the blonde haired girl that sat beside her.

"Rane," the girl answered, still refusing to meet the Alpha leaders gaze.

"I thought it was Starfire?" Jinx asked in confusion. "At least, that's what your sister was calling you..."

"Technically that's my birth name, doesn't mean I have to go by it, though," Rane-but-not-really-Rane answered.

Jinx let a small chuckle. "Wow, you dad's really big on the whole "Star" thing, huh?"

"He's not my dad!" Rane yelled, finally turning to glare at the older woman (really she just looked like an angered kitten...)."And he never will be."

"Right..." Jinx mumbled, and Rane started staring at her black lace up boots inside of the wall. "Ya know kid...you remind me of myself when I was about your age."

Rane looked up from drilling a hole in her shoes in surprise. "Really?" she asked.

"Yup, definitely," Jinx said with a small smile. "Determined, angry and sad."

Rane's face once again turned into a glare as she looked at the soldier. "I'm not angry or sad," she said with a glint her eyes. "I just hate Peter Quill."

Jinx studied the young girl for a moment before choosing her words carefully. "I know that you do, but trust me." Jinx really locked eyes with her young companion. "When I was your age, my parents died, or now that I know more, were actually killed." Rane looked at her in shock. "Anyways, my parents were the only family I had. So, when they died, I pushed everyone away. All my friends stopped talking to me, all the teachers stopped bothering with me in class. In case I lashed out at them, and everyone else just gave me looks of pity and ignored me." Rane looked back at her shoes, but Jinx continued. "I trusted no one. So, in turn, no one trusted me," she tried to meet Rane's eyes.