z e r o

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙕𝙀𝙍𝙊—𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘤𝘩 𝘰𝘶𝘵—

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙕𝙀𝙍𝙊
—𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘤𝘩 𝘰𝘶𝘵—

     "𝙄 𝘾𝘼𝙉'𝙏 𝙒𝘼𝙄𝙏 to get off of this God-for-saken train," Johanna mumbles under her breath, picking at her food.

After saying goodbye to my mother and best friend, Rowan, the peacekeepers shoved me onto our assigned train. Aspen didn't dare speak a word to me on our way there, nor send me a glance. It didn't bother me in the least that I wasn't gaining his attention— I was only worried about the day ahead of me.

Johanna, our mentor, had already mentioned to us that the moment we arrived in the Capitol, we would be bombarded and stripped for the tribute parade. Aspen had stiffened at the mention of President Snow holding this parade to give us a prepared speech that would be made up of meaningless lies.

I, of course, had tuned out after that, staring out the train window for no apparent reason. Our escort, Reena, didn't make a peep as Johanna rambled on about the torcherous games, and how we are supposed to train.

"I think it's time we watch the replay of the Reapings." Johanna states, standing from her chair. She flips through a channel on our projection screen, before halting at a showing of District one tributes.

"I won't even bother introducing you to the career pack when we arrive at the Capitol," Johanna sighs, taking a seat next to me on the couch. Aspen follows behind, and sits on the other side of me, observing the boy and girl on the projection screen closely.

"Why not?" I ask quietly, hoping my voice doesn't come out too rudely. Johanna glances at me, before giving me a soft smile.

"They aren't the type of people for you, Case." She replies, looking back at the District one tributes. "Trust me, backstabbers like one and two will get you killed quicker than you can turn your back."

I nod, feeling Aspen's gaze fall upon my face. I simply ignore him, and study the tributes. The boy- Marvel- has brown hair, and a straight jaw. His stance is sturdy, and his body language tells me that he's been waiting to volunteer for years.

The girl- Glimmer- looks as confident as Marvel, her blond locks falling over her shoulders flawlessly. I bite my lip, imagining her towering over me with a knife. How could I possibly defend myself from someone like her?

"Don't feel intimidated." Johanna states, nudging me with her elbow. "They couldn't do anything to you even if they wanted to. I'm sure you'd be the one to win a battle with her."

I allow a small scoff to escape my lips, staring at my mentor in disbelief. "Johanna, I don't think giving me false hope would help," I comment, feeling tears come to my eyes. "It's obvious I'm not going to win. Why should I think otherwise?"

"You could win." She crosses her arms over her chest, watching as I hold back my waterworks. "All you need is a few sponsors and some allies. And call me Jo."

I chose not to open my mouth again, and, instead, I stare back at the projection. The channel is changed to District two. My eyes graze over a small girl with pitch black hair, and dark eyes. Clove looks stealthy and quick for her size, and would still most likely be taller than me.

My short and slim form stands at a whopping five feet and two inches. Yeah, you heard me right. I'm seventeen, and am barely tall enough to look the age of a thirteen year old.

My breath catches in my throat as someone else- the boy tribute- steps onto the stage. The name 'Cato Hadley' flashes across the screen as I gawk at the boy. His blonde hair sweeps across his forhead, and his ocean-blue eyes skim the crowd with pride. A black t-shirt wraps around his biceps and toned chest.

"Watch out for him." Johanna warns Aspen and I. "He could easily play you, and get you into the career pack. Don't listen to a word he says."

Aspen simply nods, but I keep my eyes locked on the screen.

Cato's gorgeous eyes capture mine through the screen, and I fiddle with my fingers, looking down to the floor as the channel flips again.

But even as the Districts and tributes fly by, I can't help but think about those beautiful ocean-blue eyes.

_______