t e n

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙏𝙀𝙉—𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘯𝘥—

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙏𝙀𝙉
—𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘯𝘥—

     "𝙎𝙊 𝙃𝙀 𝙏𝙍𝙄𝙀𝘿 to hit you?" Finnick questions River, his hands clasped behind his back. "Or was he just aching for a fight?"

"He didn't swing," River replies, sending me a glance. "But he wanted to get to Casey for some reason. Probably to mess with her like Glimmer does."

Johanna bites her lip from behind Finnick, before raising an eyebrow at me. I only shake my head, looking to the floor.

"Sounds like a career," Finnick sighs. "You did good, River. Nice job with Casey."

"I'm supposed to protect her," River shrugs. "I did what had to be done."

"Casey, can I see you in the dining room for a minute?" Johanna asks, her eyes not leaving my face.

I nod in response, before following her out of the living room, wary of the eyes on me. When reaching the dining room, Johanna lets out a flustered huff, leaning against the wall.

"Sounds like you, my dear, have a lot of things to think about," She frowns. "How did River really handle Cato?"

"Well, they didn't hit each other," I reply. "But they looked like they wanted to. Both of them were extremely angry; and for what reason, I have no idea."

Johanna stares at me for a moment, before bursting into laughter. I watch her, confused as she shakes her head, her laughter dying down.

"Casey, you are so oblivious, hun." Johanna chuckles lightly. "How do you not see it?"

"See what?"

"Nevermind," She waves it off, crossing her arms over her chest. "So are you meeting Cato again tonight, or what?"

"Well, I planned on it," I say. "But now I'm not so sure. It scares me, knowing how he gets when he's mad. I want to know where we stand, though."

"I'm guessing that's what he wanted to talk to you about," Johanna leans her head back, looking at the ceiling. "I just don't know whether or not he's using you."

"You think he'd use me?" I ask softly, my voice cracking in the slightest.

"Careers will do anything to win," She says disgustedly, finally meeting my gaze. "Even if it means using the sweetest people they can. I just don't want you to get hurt, Casey. I care for you, and I want you to win this."