s i x t e e n

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙎𝙄𝙓𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉—𝘩𝘶𝘳𝘵 𝘩𝘪𝘮—

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙎𝙄𝙓𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉
—𝘩𝘶𝘳𝘵 𝘩𝘪𝘮—

     "𝘼𝙉𝘿 𝙉𝙀𝙓𝙏, 𝙒𝙀 have the tribute of the night— the girl we've all been waiting for. Miss Casey Jackson!"

I'm whisked onto the stage by one of the directors. My palms are sweaty as I step into the bright lights, but I still manage a confident smile. A wave of screams washes over the Capitol citizens, as well as a feeling of dread spreading through my chest with every step I take.

I curse Cato and River with everything in me as I take my place next to Caesar, holding onto my smile.

"My, my, we've heard much about you," Caesar chuckles lightly, placing his hand on mine. "Now tell me, however did you manage to score an eleven during your private sessions?"

"I would tell you, but it's a surprise," I say without hesitation. "You'll have to wait until tommorow for that."

"Is there any confidence in you?"

"Of course," I nod, playing of Johanna's advice. "I have a few tricks up my sleeve that no one will be expecting."

"Now you've got me interested!" He laughs again, along with the crowd in front of us. "But there is one topic that we must discuss, as everyone here is dying to know."

"And what might that be?" I tease, secretly holding back the urge to sprint from the stage to look for Johanna.

"On two separate accounts, we've heard that you are quite the lovely lady. And I have to say, you look beautiful," He states with a grin. "But can you explain what is going on between you and the other tributes?"

"I get along with them well, I believe," I say simply, overlooking his compliment. "I have to keep an eye out for the others. I think there is some competition here."

"And Cato and River?"

"I don't know," I pause, biting my lip. "I haven't quite figured out my feelings for either of them."

Gasps erupt from in front of us, along with a few different people yelling out the names of Cato and River.

"From what they recently said, you have more protection in the arena than what you bargained for. Can you delve a little deeper into that?"

"Well, I certainly didn't expect the amount of alliances that have been offered to me. Let alone the ones that I actually accepted, or chose myself."