Chapter 9

Louis pounded a fist on the kitchen door. He pulled his sword out of its holder slightly. His breath was hot. He knocked on the door again, feeling impatient. Louis gritted his teeth.

Louis was ready to murder the boy. However, when the door opened and Louis actually saw Harry, his tense shoulders fell and he pushed the weapon back into its sheath. Louis could not bring himself to attack Harry, let alone kill him.

"Hello! I wasn't expecting you." Harry greeted with a hesitant smile like he did not know what to do. "Um- I'm sorry about what happened last night. You're right, I should be more careful. I baked you some cupcakes to make it up to you. You like chocolate, right?"

"Yeah, how did you know?" Louis asked softly.

"I remembered that you liked it when we were- Nevermind." Harry cut himself off but Louis could roughly guess what he was about to say.

"Dating?" Louis giggled.

"Yeah, that." Harry chuckled awkwardly. "Do you accept my apology?"

"Let me see how good those cupcakes are. Then, we'll talk." Louis picked up one of the cupcakes, topped with perfectly swirled chocolate frosting. He took a bite out of the cupcake.

"So, what do you think?" Harry asked.

"I think that there's something you forgot to mention to me." Louis said. "Danielle told me about your little mine incident."

"Oh." Harry stared at his toes. "She knows about my monster?"

"She doesn't know it's you but I'm a smart guy. I can put two and two together. I know it was you." Louis explained.

"I'm sorry." Harry whispered his apology.

"I hope you know what that snowballed into," Louis made Harry feel guilt and remorse. "But in case you're not up to speed, because of you, I need to marry Danielle to stop King Stephen from declaring war between Ariak and Vaelle."

Louis continued, "While I am upset with what you have done, I will be willing to forgive, not forget, if you promise me that you will not stay up past 8 ever again." Louis held his little finger out. Harry smiled and hooked his own pinkie around Louis'.

"Thank you." Harry said softly.

"Okay, but I hope you understand that if you don't keep your end of the bargain, it is going to take a lot more than a batch of cupcakes to make it up to me." Louis warned, taking another bite out of the chocolate dessert. Harry nodded.

"Why did you bring your sword here?" Harry asked, pointing to the weapon and backing away.

"No reason." Louis replied. He noticed Harry turning pale. Louis asked Harry if he was alright.

"Yeah, but I don't like being around swords after your dad stabbed me with one." Harry moved the apron out of the way and lifted his shirt slightly to reveal a scar that was deeply engraved into Harry's skin.

"In his defense, he did that in my defense." Louis said.

"I never said what he did was wrong." Harry stated.

"Whatever." Louis rolled his eyes.

"You've got chocolate on your face. You'll never be able to eat chocolate anything without making a mess, will you?" Harry teased, grabbing a napkin and wiping Louis cheeks. Louis snatched the napkin out of Harry's hand.

"I can clean my face without help. Thank you." Louis hissed.

"Why are you being so hostile?" Harry questioned. "I thought you have forgiven me."

"Forgiving you doesn't mean that I like you." Louis asserted. "Besides, I forgave you for your encounter with the princess. I am still mad at you for lying to me."

Harry began to clean up the mess in the kitchen. Louis sat on the countertop with his legs dangling off the edge. He held a cupcake in one hand. With the other hand, he peeled the wrapper off the cupcake before popping the whole thing into his mouth.

"Just curious, why did you come to look for me?" Harry asked.

"I forgot." Louis lied right through his teeth, and a mouthful of chocolate cake and frosting.

"Tell me when you remember." Harry said, cleaning the batter off a spoon.

Louis headed back into his room. Larry began to screech at him, "I cannot believe that you wanted to murder Harry! You are worse of a monster than he is. Don't tell me you actually did it."

"I did not kill Harry. Don't get your tail in a knot." Louis pulled his sword out of his scabbard. "See, no blood."

"Good." Larry spat her words at Louis. "I would hate you if you murdered him, and on the day before his birthday too!"

"Tomorrow is Harry's birthday?" Louis clarified.

"Yes, it's his first birthday without Zayn and Liam since they adopted him, and you better be nice to him or I'll do more than pee in your cup." Larry threatened.

"Is that supposed to scare me?" Louis asked.

Larry did not answer him. She just meowed and licked her paws.

.

.

.

The cupcake made cupcakes <3