Chapter 6

Author’s Note: There is more texting in this chapter.

Kaitlyn’s P.O.V.

I put my phone back in my back pocket and went over to my bass. I sat down on a stool that stood beside the black instrument’s stand and put the bass on my lap. I started to finger Darling by Eyes Set to Kill automatically while All Signs Point to Lauderdale ended and A Prophecy by Asking Alexandria began. I knew the notes well enough that I could play it while anything but another song I knew how to play  was on and I could play it without looking at either of my hands.

I ended up playing through most of the song when I felt my phone vibrate in my back pocket. I put the bass back on its black stand and pulled my phone out of my jean shorts pocket. I noticed that it was from Steve.

Why? Just y???

Devin leaving?

YA! THAT Y WOULD HE DO THT WHEN HE KNEW WE NEED A SINGER?!?!?!?

Cuz, HE IS A JERK

U just hate him

Well, yes, but still, he is mean

Ur fault u started dating him

I should have broke up with him sooner, I know

WE STILL NEED A SINGER

Why was Steve trying to get back on topic, he almost never does that, I thought as I went to sit on a couch that was opposite from the various instruments that lined the wall. There was another bass besides mine, two acoustic guitars, one electric guitar that was a purple Fender, and a violin from my mom’s failed attempts at making me try to “learn some instrument that wasn’t part of the rock era” as my mom put it, she doesn’t realize that rock is a real music genre, or metal, or even alternative.

The only reason we kept him in the band was cuz he was one of the only few singers we knew right?

U want to kill him don’t u

I really want to kill him and by really, I mean if I could kill him now, then I would do it.

CAN I?!?!?! :D

No

Aw, y not

Cuz then u will go to jail and we will be without a bassist

Oh :(

WE STILL NEED A SINGER

He must really want to have a singer.

Is blake any help to u

Let me think about that. . . .NO!!

Blake is an idiot that never helps with anything.

Drummers never help

BASSISTS ARENT BEING ANY BETTER

Ur pissed, aren’t you?

Ya think?

At me or Devin?

BOTH

Ask people if they can sing tomorrow

Whoa, kaitlyn, you actually came up with a good idea, im shocked

Ya ok im gonna try to memorize What I’ve Done now

No don’t leave your actually coming up with good ideas

Compliments never get anywhere with me, they are just words strung together to try to impress someone.

But I need to memorize this song

I don’t like Linkin Park as much as other bands, but I still need to know it soon.

We need a singer more

So, we need a singer more than we need to know how to play songs????

I find loopholes easily; sometimes they are annoying, sometimes they help. Today it is both.

Well uh WE NEED BOTH

Then let me practice

Meh

I didn’t reply, I just grabbed my bass again and played What I’ve Done by Linkin Park. I sucked at it, I didn’t know all the notes and Boulevard of Broken Dreams was playing in the background, which I knew perfectly since the first day I played it and I couldn’t help but hum along to it.

So, I stopped playing the song and went to my laptop to print out the tab for the song, I got my iPod as it started playing Pray for Plagues by Bring Me the Horizon. I changed it to What I’ve Done and started picking along to the song. I missed half the notes the first minute of the song and was completely out of time the next. I need to practice I thought.

The song ended and a song I actually knew how to play came on: Mr. Highway’s Thinking About the End. I played through it without errors and in perfect timing. The song that started playing, I Hate Everything About You by Three Days Grace, I sort of knew and strummed along to it.

That’s when I hear Danny Worsnop’s voice singing to me A Lesson Never Learned to tell me that someone was calling me.

I answered it without looking at it, “What?” I questioned the person on the other end.

“Oh, hey, you sound pissed, like Steve,” Blake responded to my cheerful greeting.

“Let me guess, because we no longer have a singer?” I assumed in a completely monotone voice.

“Wow, how did you know?” I don’t get Blake, he actually sounded surprised to find out that I actually knew about it.

“What? Did you not know that I knew?” I examined.

“No, I did know, could you not heard the sarcasm in my voice?” he probed.

“What? Oh, I’m such an idiot!” I insulted myself.

“Yes, yes you are,” he laughed.

Why was he so happy about this, I know I can be stupid, he tends to be stupider. I was laughing now, stupider? Is that even a word?

“Earth to Kaitlyn is anyone there? Hello?” he suddenly sounded like he was underwater while on drugs.

“Do you happen to be on drugs?” I prodded.

“What? No! How the Hell can you think that?” he reacted, he no longer sounded on drugs, just underwater.

“What about underwater?” I asked, even if he doesn’t say he’s on drugs, I still think he is. Never trust a drummer, especially if the band he is in is somewhat hardcore.

“I’m in the shower!” he screamed at me. Yup, he is either on drugs or drunk, no sane person would talk to someone in the shower.

“Why? Why did you think to call me in the shower?” I inquired.

“I didn’t, I was going to the bathroom,” he answered. Great, Blake is even more perverted than I thought was possible.

“Ok, why did you call?” I questioned, I was getting tired of this talk of pervertedness. Is pervertedness even a word?

“Oh, uh to make sure you knew that Devin left,” he answered. What? Why would he do that? He better not have a crush on me, if he does I’m going to kill him along with Devin.

“Oh,” I responded.

“Yeah, so bye, I got to clean myself,” he dropped the call. What kind of people says clean myself?

I walked back into my bedroom and threw my phone on the bed and realized that My Life for Hire by A Day to Remember was playing. Which, of course, fit my life right not, it makes no sense.