Chapter 14

Mr Horan arrived back from his business trip the next day which meant Maddie and Niall’s relationship went back on the down-low. He was in the kitchen, wearing his black Armani suite with a blue skinny tie and white shirt. His blaze was clean cut and his shoes were as shinny as a diamond. The brief case was placed on the island while he waited for Linda to make his breakfast and a coffee to go. As Maddie started cleaning the counters in the kitchen she over-heard about his trip and asked how Niall behaved. Shooting a quick glance at Maddie, Linda nodded and spoke about how ‘helpful’ and ‘good’ he had been; the truth being he wasn’t around a whole lot anymore. When he wasn’t sleeping, partying or at Maddie’s new apartment, no one really knew where he was anymore. However the only one who seemed to care was Maddison. His father was just glad that he wasn’t sleeping all day and was killing the hours of the day while Linda didn’t want him messing the place up as she cooked and cleaned.

As 11.30am rolled on, it was part of her daily routine to wake the sleeping beauty who lay in the big double bed upstairs in the room, second to the right with the blue bed sheets and matching curtains. Slowly creaking open the door, Maddie stepped inside and noticed he wasn’t there, along with his phone, wallet and keys. Opening the curtains she saw his black Range Rover with the new wheels weren’t there either. She debated texting him for an explanation although she didn’t want to seem clingy. He may come back during the day, she thought and took the opportunity to clean his room, another job she could check off her To Do List.  

By the time she’d clocked out at 6pm, Niall had yet to return. Double checking every room she still couldn’t find him hiding anywhere. Kicking off her shoes and dropping her jacket on the railing, Maddie collapsed on the sofa in her apartment before getting attacked by Poppy and Lewis. She laughed and wrapped her arms around the two who giggled in response, earning a ‘Shh!’ from Isabel who was studying in front of an episode of Hollyoaks. Although it just seemed like her books were open in front of her while her eyes never left the television screen.  

Maddison sighed when she still hadn’t heard from Niall. Taking matters into her own hands she decided to text him. ‘Hey Niall! Didn’t see you today, missed you. Anyway, everything okay? Xx.’ Sent. Before he could read the message, let alone reply, she had fallen asleep along with her siblings on the carpet of the living room floor. They hadn’t experienced such fluffy carpet since her father passed and her mother went off the rails, selling their family home in the suburbs for their mouldy flat in the inner city. To someone as privileged as the Horan’s this wouldn’t have been a big deal, but it was the little things that mattered to the Jones’.

By the time she’d woken up, Niall had read and replied to the message. ‘I was busy.’ Was all it said. No kisses, no smiley/un happy emojies, no apology and most importantly no explanation. She sighed heavily and fell back against the sofa again, her phone still in her hands. Her small thumbs hovered over the touch screen keyboard, debating whether or not to reply to the blunt message or not. Not. And just like that, the phone was tucked back away into her pocket and another loud sigh escaped her soft lips. Her mind was flooded with all these thoughts for at least an hour. Most of them started with ‘Why’ or ‘What’. Why was he being so distant suddenly? Why was he being secretive on his phone and not home when he’s usually sleep at that time?  What was he hiding? Maddie decided the best idea was to leave it and confront him at a charity dinner Mr Horan was hosting tonight and paying her extra to serve the dishes, pour the wines and clean up after.

6.30pm rolled by and Maddie made her way to the house, still dazzled every time she looked at it. She shook her head, her high pony tail swaying side to side before entering the house. The guests had yet to arrive which gave her time to set up the table with place mats, cutlery, wine glasses and candles. As much as she wanted to go talk to Niall, her hands were occupied. There was always after dinner right? Quickly changing into the black uniform she wore for Mr Horan’s art gallery opening, she greeted the guests and directed them to the dining area after taking their coats. She turned to see Niall descend the staircase in a clean cut white shirt, black shoes and black trousers with a skinny black tie was tucked under his collar. Before either of them could say a word, the door-bell went again. A young girl, Maddie’s age possibly, stood wearing a short red dress with matching heels and a clutch bag. Her parents stood proudly behind before stepping into the hallway, handing their coats to Maddison. As she placed them into the spare room, the girl in red finally spoke. “Couldn’t you have worn a red tie to match me?” She giggled. Maddison turned to see Niall’s arm wrapped around her small waist. Her parents must have gone into the dining room as they were not in sight.

Niall laughed “Don’t blame me, gorgeous. You just can’t get the help these days.” And just like her parents, the disappeared into the dining room also.

Hellloo! Im sorry i dont write as much. Please understand that i'm in college now and as much as i like it, its so hard to keep up my grades as well as update frequently. Im going to keep writing though as i like it and i hope you understand and keep reading! Anyway, i hope you enjoyed this chapter- tell me what you thought below and vote please. Lots of love xx