Dangerous.

It was 1991. Michael had just finsihed recording his eighth album, Dangerous, and it was to be released on November 26. 

      Michael had given me a preview of the tracklist and singles, and I couldn't believe my ears when I heard his one song, "Black or White". "If you're thinking of being my baby, it don't matter if your black or white." I looked at Michael. 

     He smiled at me. "Remember the advice you gave me? It never left my mind. So, I put it in a song."  There was one thing that made me so happy about that, and that's the fact that he remembered. Then, I watched the video. It blew me away. It was honestly such a powerful video to me. He had so many people from different places with different races, cultures, skin colors, everything. 

     I will admit I was a little shocked when it came to the final four minutes of this video. He was smashing things, dancing, zipping his pants, so much was happening in just a few minutes. I didn't ask about it though. I just went with it. 

     He was showing me all the short films. Two, however, really "wow"ed me. Remember the Time and In the Closet. Remember the Time was normal and really good, until around the end when Michael kisses the Queen. My initial reaction was "oh big deal it's a kiss." But that kiss didn't end quickly. I eventually came to my senses realizing that it's only a stage kiss and it meant nothing. 

     But, In the Closet was a very provocative song, which called for a provocative video to match. And that one really got to me. 

     It took me a few minutes, but I got over it. It's just a video, nothing threatening. 

                                       *                                                  *                                            *

     Things got rough.

     Fast.

     Michael had so much to do with his career that it was unbearably overwhelming. But, I never gave up. I stuck by him every step of the way. I'd be home in bed and he'd still be out with writers or producers, anyone. Publicists would be around the house all the time. I hardly saw Michael. I mean I'd see him a few times a day, but he'd have to leave minutes later.

     I understood him. 

     After all, he was Michael Jackson.

     It wasn't until December 18th that I experienced a difficulty.

Michael came home late, like usual, and I was laying in bed waiting for him. "Natalie." He said as he walked in, turning on the light. "Yes, Michael?" 

"We really need to talk."